Question about formula

ISH

Reaction score
Vince is bf at the moment, but am considering formula as well. It all sounds so complicated though, does it HAVE to take 30 mins to prepare each feed? The thought of a hungry baby wailing throughout is terrifying me!!

My midwife said if u sterilise the bottle and put it together (with lid) it would stay sterile if you store in the fridge. Can't help with much else tho I'm afraid!

Well, I suppose you dont HAVE to do it that way, you can do it any way you want. My MW told me it had to be done as per the guidelines & back of pack, you're not allowed to store the made up formula or water, and yeah you should wait 30mins before pouring the boiled water into the formula because it kills the goodness in the formula & if you leave it made up the bacteria grows so so quickly (that would be the worst out of all the options). Its up to you wether you follow the back of the tub or not!

I boil the kettle, leave it for 30mins, pour it into a flask & that does the water for 2 feeds, sometimes 3. W/out having to wait for boiling, downside is, it only stays at that temp for 8 hours.

:)

I sterilise my bottles and fill with some water. When Owen due for feed I top up with boiled water to correct level. Ive got the knack now and know exactly how to do it so the bottle is the correct temp and o can feed straight away x

When i combiner bf and ff i just used the liquid ready made formula as it was so much easier...

As for the thirty min rule thing i didnt do it like that! I made up the number of bottles in advance and stored them in the fridge! I know its not the ing thats meant to be done but i osted a link on it aggggees ago and found out that alot of mums were doing the same too!

My midwife said you can premake bottles in the fridge as long as it's only a couple. She said that the reason they tell you to make them fresh is because people would make lots put them in the fridge and not keep track on how long they are in there and give the baby old milk!

I boil a kettle in the morning and fill up 2/3 bottles, to 8oz (thats what she has) with boiling water then put the bottles back in the steraliser with the water in then just add formula when she's due... She doesnt like having her bottles warm though apart from last thing at night xx

I've always made all of Jack's water in the morning and left them to cool on the side and add the formula when he's ready for milk. In the beginning he had it room temp but now we zap it in the microwave for 20 secs. Do it however you think is right for your little one hunx

The guidelines have changed recently but they are there so people dont make up a week in advance iykwim. I sterilise and pour water into say 4 bottles and add powder and heat up when needed.

Every HV will tell you a different thing, be sensible and it will be fine.

My midwife said you can premake bottles in the fridge as long as it's only a couple. She said that the reason they tell you to make them fresh is because people would make lots put them in the fridge and not keep track on how long they are in there and give the baby old milk!

Exactly what hv said to me!!

The guidelines have changed recently but they are there so people dont make up a week in advance iykwim. I sterilise and pour water into say 4 bottles and add powder and heat up when needed.

Every HV will tell you a different thing, be sensible and it will be fine.

This is what I do. I sterilise the bottles then put boiling water in them up to the amount of formula that she is having, seal up and then add formula when she wants a bottle. I then put it in the microwave for 20 seconds and it's perfect temp for Sophie to have. I've been doing this for the last week and she's not been poorly so I must be doing something right.

Have to say though if I forget to do the bottles and have to wait then it does seem to take forever with a screaming child.

When you read through some of the guidelines in the NHS stuff it says always make the bottles up fresh but if you need to go out or they go to a nursery then make them up in advance - go figure! With H we don't always get 30 mins advance warning that she will be hungry soon in time to make up bottles fresh and I think that will be the same for most babies! I make up a day of feeds with water and formula and store them in the fridge, not for longer than 24 hours but it is soooo much easier and then there is always one ready when she needs it!

My LO was born 5lb2 so she needed feeding every 3 hours. At 2 months she started sleeping from 9pm-7.30/am so she dropped 3 bottles but started wanting more ounces during the day. I dont feed on demand she has her bottles the same time every day. I do make her bottles fresh everytime so I know when I need to put the kettle on ready for her bottle. If im going out I will make the bottles with just the water and take formula in the little carry pots (you just measure each bottle out into the pots) she wont drink a warm bottle she likes them at room temp. Or I'll just take sterilized bottles and take cartons with me. I do use the 1lt cartons also (when I can get my hands on them as they do a days feed)

I do mine the same as clairbear and hunnie, I sterilise the bottles and add the water. Then I just add the formula when needed and microwave for 20 seconds.

My hv did tell me the other day that I could pre-make the bottles with formula and store in the fridge if I wanted. Even though it says on the back of the formula not to.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

we used to sterilise one of j's bottles and then keep 2l (rouchly) of boild water on the side in an airtight container. Then sterlise one bottle and when it was needed take it out the steriliser fill with water from the side and add powder. and then when just sterilise one more bottle then at about 8 months we stopped sterilising, slowly...

I do mine the same as clairbear and hunnie, I sterilise the bottles and add the water. Then I just add the formula when needed and microwave for 20 seconds.

My hv did tell me the other day that I could pre-make the bottles with formula and store in the fridge if I wanted. Even though it says on the back of the formula not to.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
I know that some nurseries do it. They have to put instructions like they do because they dont want to be sued of course. Its the same as any medicine instructions, every possible side effect is listed and you always have to consult your doctor.

Which is probably right, there are some idiots around unfortunately

What would I do without you? :love: Thank you all for the input!!

I have been putting boiled water in three bottles and then keeping them in the bottle until feed time then heat the water in the bottle warmer (takes 3 mins) and adding formula, although today i bought a carton of formula that you open, pour out and feed at room temp or warm in water if needed. I must say its brilliant you dont need to do much at all and also dont have to worry about getting boiled water - good for if your out in town or something - its £2.00 for 1 litre once opened to be used in 48 hours which we will xx

The cartons are great, i'll need to start using them when LO starts nursery not sure how they make bottles, but i'm not having them storing them & heating LO's bottles :roll:

The cartons are great, i'll need to start using them when LO starts nursery not sure how they make bottles, but i'm not having them storing them & heating LO's bottles :roll:
Double-check with the nursery, I know some do.

Cartons are great, I wish I could get them

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back