• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

question about 12 week mark

breezee1984

Reaction score
they say at week 12 your pretty much out of the miscarriage woods....well my question is this....is that 12 weeks from your last period or 12 weeks from conception??

I think its from conception because I had a miscarriage 12 weeks ago and i had an early scan on 1st august and i was 7 weeks 5 days and that would of worked out that it all started on 9th june and i had a miscarriage on 24th may and didnt bleed after that so i think its from conception

I've always thought it was 12 weeks from your last period. Saying that although after the 12/13 weeks mark the chance of miscarriage drop significantly there's no guarantee.

well of course...but now i have 2 different answers and am even more confused..LOL

Surely the risk must fade towards the 12 week mark - then continue to fade afterwards. My midwife said the first 8 weeks are the riskiest bit of the first tri! That's not to say the danger has past but it couldn't possibly stay at 1 in 5 till you wake up exactly 12 weeks and the be 1 in 50!!

To my mind each day means better odds and the 12 week mark is just a point where the odds have really got good enough to buy things and get really ready for a baby.

The closer you get to 12 weeks the less chance there is of miscarriage and when you pass that it goes down again. Between weeks 6-12 there's up to 5% risk of miscarriage and that drops to up to 3% in the 2nd tri.

Kelsey, where did you find that info? It sounds spot on but I hunted everywhere fpr a breakdown like that I couldn't find one!!

I thin another reason for a 12 week cut off is the scan at 12 weeks because that often catches things that have already gone wrong and also allows people to see the baby is ok so far. Hell I still want to get there but 8 weeks is cool too.

That's an excellent site but I wish she'd included her references... (ok I'm a nerd - I fess!).

At 36 (1st pregnancy + very good health) I reckoned my odds of a successful birth were about 60% when I discovered I was pregnant (about 4 weeks). Now at 8 weeks+ I figure they are about 80% likely to lead to a successful birth. But I've guess these by splitting odds that I could find - I found hardly anything which gave me a breakdown. I don't think they're miles out though.

I think once you're up the duff the odds are in the favour of a bub at the end of it and that's the best way I find to look at it. Not only that but those odds get better every day that goes by.

It means 12 weeks from your LMP but as every1 said the risk gradually reduces but there is always that small risk no matter how far through pregnancy you are.

I don't think they would count it from conception as the majority of women wouldn't have a clue when they ovulated. I'd say 12 weeks from the first day of your last period :D

i miscarried at 11weeks 6days in 05.

soon as i got past 12weeks i was so happy but ethn read in a mag that this woman had a still birth about 28weeks. so anytime throughout pregnancy is dangerous. glad its all over for now :)

think there was one that had to deliver at 36weeks i read on a website earlier today thats a stillborn. dont wanna scare noone tho and im sure you girls will be just fine and before u know it u be psuhing your lo out in no time :)

I think they count it from the date of ure last period as an estimate then when you go for ure scan they put you back to how far the baby is developed cos obviously they dont know when u conceived? i dunno it frys my head!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back