• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

quantity of food

nikkif

Reaction score
Hello, How much roughly does your LO have for their main course?

Charlotte will eat the amount that is in a 4-6 month old jar, though we normally use home cooked food, which she finds harder to eat so has less and gets frustrated. We are trying to get her to have fruit/yogurt as a desert but she isn't really interested and clamps her mouth shut, It doesn't matter how hungry she is etc she will only have so much.

Just wondering really what sort of quantity your LO has, either jar wise, or we have the tomee tippee pots, and weaning bowls. SHe will eat a weaning pot of home made veg/rice for lunch. Is this a usual amount? For cereal in a.m she has about a third in the weaning bowls.

BTW, she hasnt really reduced her milk yet is still on 4 big bottles a day.

Any ideas on how to encourage her to eat more and reduce milk or will that happen eventually??

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions!

I was quite lucky with Lucy, when we started introducing solids she liked them so much that she would refuse the milk until after her solids! After that she just started eating more and more and having less milk until she was only having a small feed in the morning at 8 months.

My best advice is to be led by your daughter, although perhaps try switching the milk until after her weanings if you aren't doing that already. I also wouldn't worry about the amount that she's eating, she'll gradually prefer the tastes of her food and stop wanting the milk so much (although I don't think they would ever stop the milk if they didn't have to!!)

Hi Nikkif,
LO is off her food a bit at the moment because she is teething ( :pray: :pray: please come through soon teeth) and I have noticed that she has cut down a lot and wants more liquids instead.

But she usually eats about a 4month jar (125g) approx (HIPP jar) if she has one, but normally I give her homemade stuff and then she has about 2 or 3 cubes of the Annabel Karmel trays. Think it is about 100g. But today she hardly finished anything and kept crying.

I found that if she stops taking stuff on a spoon she sometimes still keeps eating if it is in a different form. Eg. I pop little bits of banana or grapes etc in her mouth to 'chew' on and she eats quite a lot that way. I guess she thinks it is fun and not 'eating' :) HAve you tried that?

How are you doing?
:hug:

Hi Newmum :wave: I am OK thanks, how are you doing? It sounds like Charlotte is having a similar amount to your LO on a normal day. What are you giving for lunch i am running out of ideas?

I just cut out the midmorning and lunchtime bottle, i didnt do it slowly either, just one day that was it, admittadly a couple of times if she didnt eat much as didnt like it etc I would give her a bottle as well, she has been on 2 bottles (180ml) a day now since 7 months and VERY VERY occasionally may wake up in night and have some to calm her, but this is so rare.

Hi Nikkif,
I have been giving the same things for a while now. Need to change and make a step up I think but not quite sure how. Normally I just give her vegetables /fruits in various combinations, eg. avocado, apple and banana, sweet potato and broccoli etc.

I am using an Annabel Karmel book just a basic guide or to get a few ideas. I am not sure about starting her on meat yet though - something about pureed meat seems funny :) but I think I will start using cheese etc. She is still on about 600-700ml of milk and seems to need it. She still has one in the night :( and definitely one before bed and the other one is usually in the morning on waking... but it depends how late she had the other bottle in the night. Think I will just keep on until she starts cutting it out herself.

My daughter loved fish (cod or haddock) and potato and cheese all mashed up! We also used to make things that would normally be a meal and then mash it up and she'd eat it. Bolognaise puréed is surprisingly appetising!

We used to cook batches of food and freeze them as individual meals so broccoli potato in one set of tubs, butternut squash and sweet potato in another etc. then there was always a variety in the freezer for when you didn't have time to make it fresh.

Hi Nikkif :wave:

Daniels Day:

Wake up 8oz of milk

9am-porridge made with 3 oz of milk and one small fromage frais

11am-some water or juice

12.30pm-1 pot of 4-6 months Hipp organic puree (usually chicken or turkey or cheese with veg) and small pot pudding

16.30pm-1 pot either of fruit puree or veggie puree

18.30pm(sleep time) one 8oz bottle of milk

22.30pm-one 8oz bottle of milk

He is not having any homemade stuff at the moment. Will try him in a few weeks again.

I am a bit worried that he is having too much. Please tell me he is not :pray: :D

Carina - doesn't sound like too much. Is he happy with the jars now for a while? My LO has changed. She was really happy eating EVERYTHING and then her bottom two teeth popped through and now she won't eat ANYTHING :( she only wants milk. The rest she cries and throws the spoon away and locks her mouth. Oh well...back to buying more Aptamil. I stocked up on some Hipp jars too 'cos it was a waste to keep trying her with it and having it spat out. Doesn't want the jars either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back