Jar food

Becky&Willow

Reaction score
because i am such a terrible cook i have only ever given Willow jar food to eat she is doing fine and developing well, she will eat anything i give her like currys, chilli con carni, pasta etc etc but it is all jar food, i feel she is getting a much more varied diet then if i was to cook as all she would get is junk am i doing the right thing?

are there any other mummys who only give jar food?

I did with Aimee cos she just wouldn't eat my cooking so she only had baby food till she was about 12 months old. Now her favorate food is chicken curry and she will eat pretty much anything.

can you get baby chicken curries then??

that's excellent! all the stuff you get over here is boring as hell.

I always cook Sam's stuff but I give jars when we're out and about because it's much easier.

I started out on hipps jar food as I wanted to develop Dans tastes and also I didn't want to waste time cooking just to throw it away. Now that he will eat anything, he eats what I eat. But I'm on slimming world and I eat very healthy. He eats lots of fish, veggies and fruit. No processed foods and everything is fresh. I do take jars though if we are out as its a lot easier to take with you. If you eat 'junk' (your words not mine!) then I would say that jars would be best for baby and also like you said she is getting a varied diet :D

I was convinced home-made was the way to go but to be honest after researching jarred baby food, as you do, I'm extremely happy and impressed with it. Some points that made me feel happier about giving Isaac jarred food were;

They are prepared in the upmost sterile conditions (I don't have those at home)
Fresh ingredients are prepared so they retain all their nutrients (Boiling fruit and veg means these are lost done at home)
There' extensive variety I could never provide on a weekly basis (I'm not Jamie Oliver, so the food ranges from home would be quite dull and repetative)
They're convenient (No cooking, freezing, defrosting)

So please don't anyone feel wrong in choosing jar over home-made, its not a bad choice at all :D

im really glad at the responses i thought i might have a ear bashing for doing the wrong thing :D i didnt realise that so many of us only use jars i feel a bit better about it now. :D

thanks ladies :hug:
Becky xxx

I use a combination..D prefers jar food but i try him with harder things llike bread and bits of anything to give him variety and get him used to lumps...when D isn't easting well i generally use jars and fresh fruit..things like avacardo's, pears ,bananas can just be mashed no cooking and you feel you are making an effort without wasting time on something that won't get eaten.

you are not a bad mom for doing what yo0u think best

Maia also has a combination.

She seems to prefer home-cooked, but jars are much better for when you are out and about because they don't need refrigerating etc.

When I'm out and OH is looking after Maia, he can't be bothered to get cubes out the freezer for her so she always gets jars!

She's not keen on the cow & gate jars, but likes heinz and hipp.

I heard a rumour you could get baby chicken korma but I've never seem it in the shops.

Also great but very hard to get hold of is the babylicious range (http://www.babylicious.co.uk/). They are small frozen portions, rather like home cooking, but with the added benefits mentioned by Redshoes above![/url]

Hellokitty said:
I heard a rumour you could get baby chicken korma but I've never seem it in the shops.
![/url]

Oh you so can. It taste like soooo tame but joe liked it. I think it was heniz.

I fed jess combinations till she was well over 1 but Joe didnt really like them and he was eating what we ate by about 9 - 10 months.

I have no concerns about feeding jars but in my experience Jess is the more fussy eater and she had the jars for longer. She probably is just fussy because she is fussy.

i suck at cooking too i give melissa jars (i do give her homemade cubes but my mum makes them not me!)

I saw this range today in my local farm shop - looked yummy and very natural according to the ingredients.

Valentine Xxx

Libby wouldn't eat homemade initially, and I don't think I could get it smooth enough for her.......so she only ever had jars of food (unless fruit in which cas I just put it through the Anabel Karmel puree thingie majig).

Now though I make half her food, mainly mashed veggies etc, and I always take jars when out, and as said before, its easier to give a wider variety of food, that I just don't have time to spend making an extensive menu of foods.

I also think jarred food has come on leaps and bounds in recent years, and is actually very good imho :)

i was making mostly my own but ended up giving christopher some of the hipp jars when i wasnt well and now he wont eat my cooking :( he loves the hipp jars especially the tangy vegetables one and the spaghetti carbonara :puke: ive given up fighting with him at meal times now and give him these at lunch time and he has home cooked for tea xxxxxx

Try not to worry hun

Maddison can be a little bugger at times lol

Sometimes she will eat the food i do for her and other times she refuses so i have to give her jars and then she will go off jars and go back to my cooking.

Ive also found with her that she doesnt like runny foods for some reason i have found that most jar foods turn to like water .

The best jars ive tried is boots own range they are brill and dont turn runny

I wish I could try more jar foods but you can only get 2 here, 1 is chicken and veg and the other fruit puree! :(

I would like to give Matilda a bigger range of tastes as living here it is very difficult to get the variety of foods, although what she does get is mostly homegrown from DH uncles farm, if I cook and she wont eat it I have to end up giving her this 'cream' thingy that's like a custard and I dont like her having this all the time or she gets homemade pureed fruit.

I give Imogen the cow and gate jars because she will get more variety and nutrition from them then my cooking - plus i just dont have the time.

Jar food is ace and contains nothing nasty - but lok at jar before you buy though!!all are different!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back