Protein questions

Rosebay

Reaction score
Since we have reached the magical 6 month mark (tra la!) and have Mel established on three meals (previously baby rice at breakfast, few steamed puree vegetable cubes at lunch and more for tea) I thought I'd offer him some protein now. I have several weaning books with recipes etc but I'm still a bit confused about the whole salt issue. A lot of the recipes include cheese but surely cheese has quite a bit of salt in it. Is it possible to get low salt cheese? Are some kinds less salty than others? Also another question about reheating cooked meat. I am a veggie but will be giving him meat so I am a little unsure about how to treat meat when it has been cooked, frozen, then defrosted. If I made say a chicken and veg casserole, pureed it, froze it in cubes then defrosted one overnight then when it comes to giving it to him can I give it to him warm or must I heat it through and let it cool? I was giving him veggies lukewarm, especially when we were out somewhere as I use boiling water in a bowl to heat stuff- can I use this method still?

Thanks a lot!

Oh- another question, sorry! For those of you who have given fish which kinds are less likely to have bones? I'll go through the fish to check first but obviously it'll be easier if I choose one with less bones in the first place. Do you get bones in tinned tuna for example? (I know to get the tuna in oil not brine). How is haddock in terms of bones as I can get that from a shop near me pretty easily.

Oh- and are any of you trying to get organic meat because of growth hormones etc? Is it easy to find? And does all meat have some in or is some meat worse than others?

Ta very much!
+++

Hi Rosebay...

Your defrosted meat must be properly reheated - very important!

Luke warm veggies are ok.

Fish... Hake or Salmon your best bet. Tuna is not reccommended - very high levels of mercury, hence, we should not eat tuna more than twice a week.

Organic chicken is good - keep red meat to a minimum.

Tofu is great for babies too!

Emilia xx

ps. sorry for such brief reply.... typing with 1 hand in complete darkness!

oops... forgot to say...
Houmous is brilliant too... great for baby to dip breadstix in. :D

Emilia xx

Thanks for the quick reply!

emilia said:
Your defrosted meat must be properly reheated - very important!

Ok, cool. How do you do it when you're going out then? For example I go to a swiming class with him on a Monday. Leave the house at 9.30 and feed him when it finishes at 11.30. Could I totally reheat it before I go then serve it lukewarm given that it has been blasted? Or do you have to go to places with microwaves, get them to heat it and then wait for it to cool down?

emilia said:
Fish... Hake or Salmon your best bet.

My mum said something about the tics in even wild salmon being dodgy though...? Have you heard of this as I hadn't.

emilia said:
Tuna is not reccommended - very high levels of mercury, hence, we should not eat tuna more than twice a week.

Oh right, ok, thanks! You see never having eaten the stuff I really haven't paid much attention to it until now! I cook meat for my OH but I know what he wants and from where and it's his responsibility to ask me to get decent stuff if you see what I mean? With Elliott it's all upto me so I want to be as careful as I can but still giving him variety.

+++

Hiya...
Sorry, didn't get the chance to reply before.

You've got the right idea about the meaty dish.

Most fish have worms. Buy Canadian Wild Salmon in a tin from Marks & Spencers. Boneless and brilliant for making fishcakes, etc. Haddock ok, but avoid the dyed yellow or smoked stuff.... vile and horrid for babies.

Some nice organic mince from Tescos - make bolognese sauce and freeze in small portions. Organic chicken to make you own nuggets.

If you want some recipe ideas, I'll jot them down for you. Otherwise, get Annabel Karmel cookbook for babies and toddlers.

Hope it helps! :wink:
Emilia xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back