Probation period & Benefits?

xSebbiesMumx

Reaction score
Okay, I really hope this is in the right place!!

So..Yesterday I had a job interview for a law firm which I thought..Hey ive found my dream job here!!..Ill keep the faith!, so id have to work 3 months probation before they decide whether to hire me or fire me basically, but whats really a noodle scratcher is, are probation periods payed? and would I have to let the benefits people know?, even if its not a permanent role?

My OH gets ESA, and basically has poured cold water all over my faith!!..Hes mad because its full time and everythings going to get cut if I get offered the job!, so then we'd have to pay half..If not all the rent, council tax (which I hear is like a £1,000 a year:shock: )..Honestly id expect to pay that if we were living in London but not Nottinghamshire..Not worth it I say!:lol: and of course OH's benefits will be halved, but I don't get why it'd bother him as ill probably be the one paying for everything anyway..With my wages:mad::mad:..We did argue and I did say some mean things to him, such as he can stay on the dole all his life if he wants, but I actually want to work! I'm sick of scrimping and saving, and still struggling most weeks to make ends meet!, and I'm also sick of not being able do get nice things for seb! (our son), and shower him with all the things he deserves..And sick of saying to him "No darling, mummy cant afford that as shes got no money until next week"..And I just cant take anymore of living off 80 quid every other week..Its just not enough!:wall2::wall2:

So, what would I be entitled to help wise if I did start the job?, baring in mind it'll probably be minimum wage for the first 3 months until probation is over (and they choose to keep me), but even then id still make 15,000 a year..thereabouts, to me that's a lot of money..But OH has finally given it his blessing for me to go ahead!, but has told me that we'll have to figure something out if we're going to get by!

Thanks guys!

You would get paid your full monthly salary from day 1 (1st month may be pro rata'ed if you were to start mid month). You would have to inform the benefits people and your money would stop. I don't know the ins and outs of benefits, but I do believe that earning less than £16k would entitle you to some financial contributions from the government. Someone else may be able to help you with that, but you would pay full rent and council tax.

A usual probation period of 6mts is paid, then they have a review at the end of that period to say if you will be taken on permanently or not. Good luck!!

I would expect you to be on the normal wage for that job even during the probation period - they won't expect you to work for nothing! In most cases passing the probation period is a formality, they won't want to get rid of you unless you really can't do the job or there are other issues eg you've had too much sick leave. A lot of companies do 6 month probation periods so 3 is pretty good. I can't help with your queries about benefits though. Good luck - hope you enjoy the job and it goes well! x

You should get full pay from the day you start, probation periods are just to see how you get on with your job, and it's not often people don't get accepted after their probation periods.

You will need to inform your local benefits office, they would say as soon as possible, but in order to ensure there's minimum mix up, I would say inform them before the day you start your new job, but after the last payment before then. It's very easy for them to close down accounts but things could get muddled if there is a delay on it. Also inform them when your expected pay day from your new job is, as that may make a difference to your last benefits payment.

As your household only has one income and it falls in to the low 'lower income' brackets, you will still be entitled to help from the government, especially since you have a job.

You can use the website 'entitledto' to figure out an estimate of what this would be based on your new wages.

You will have to pay your council tax and probably full rent too. But don't forget that council tax can be paid in monthly instalments so it's not so bad.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in Essex where our rent prices and council tax are quickly soaring to match those in London, but the wages are still "outside of London" wages. I wish my council tax was only a grand!

As for your OH, well some things are joint decisions, but don't compromise on your career and what you want just because he begrudges paying off his own back. Your life, your money, your decision chick. X

Last edited:
Congrats on your job offer! You will definitely get paid, a probation period is usually just a formality to check you're suitable. You could always go to CAB to find out more about how it will affect yours and hubs benefits x

Thanks guys!! ��

I know for definite on Tuesday whether I've successfully got probation or not..im a nervous wreck!! �� it seriously is a job that I've always wanted to do and I can't say I won't be gutted if I don't get it because I probably will be ��

But will keep you posted! xxx

Yes its defo paid and you will get tax credit support. I work 3 days a week and get £45 a week towards my housing. My council tax is like £925 a year or something but I do get single person discount. Me and other half are not currently living together, he is with his mum as we are just saving up the deposit to buy which will hopefully be before baby 2 is born x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back