Tell work before your probation ends... Rights??

Steelgoddess

Reaction score
Please help i don't know what to do :(

i started a job about coming upto 6mths ago and my probation is over on 17th march, I don;t know whether to tell them or to wait after the 17th but part of me feels like by waiting after my probation I am beig kind of disloyal.

I know that everything is pretty much in the bag with passing my probation and would feel it would be unlikely they would make me permanant but at the same time all the waiting is doing my head in literally.

I know they are a pregnant friendly company as they are currantly 5 ppl or so off pregnant and another one due to go on maternity.

I just don;t know what to do and I feel this is the only thing that is stopping me enjoying my pregnancy.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience that turned out for the best or the worst.

i THINK THE other thing is I hte all the secrecy, having to take odd days off for appointments, luckily I have been able to keep my morning sickness under wraps.

Please help :( :oops:

It is illegal to discriminate against you because you are pregnant so in theory the only difference telling them makes is that they will do a risk assessment for you.

You only have one working week before your probation period is up so if you prefer, wait to see what happens after that. You would not be disloyal doing that. And if you wanted to explain it to them in a way that makes it seem very positive, say you didn't tell them before because you wanted to pass on your own merits and not because they might be worried that if they didn't make you permanent you would say it was discrimination. Or point out that with your history you were not ready to announce until later on.

:hug:

Your probation is about how well you have performed in your job role, your pregnancy is completely separate and is not connected to whether you pass probation or not.

Your employer needs to have concerns around your performance to be able to extend your probation and cannot extend it because you are pregnant.

You are not being disloyal if you don't tell them you are pregnant, you don't have to tell then at all for a good few weeks yet. I think by law you have to tell them before you are 15 weeks.

I found this on a government website for you:

You must tell your employer that you're pregnant at least 15 weeks before the beginning of the week when your baby's due. You should also tell them when you want to start your maternity leave and receive Statutory Maternity Pay.

However, it's a good idea to tell your employer earlier, because it will let them plan around your maternity leave and carry out their legal obligations to you. This is particularly important if there are any health and safety issues. You cannot take paid time off for ante-natal appointments until you have told your employer you are pregnant.

So you really don't have to tell them yet if you don't want to.

GOOD NEWS GIRLS!!

I told them and they were fantastic!!!

Thanks for the advice :)

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member