Praising children

Juice

Reaction score
Beth sometimes gets upset when I praise her. At first it seemed like it was just when you go over the top and get a bit loud and high pitched but I realised it happens from just a simple "well done, that's really good!" It's not all the time but it's still a bit weird.

She just said to me "look I draw a P" and I said "that's amazing Beth, you're so clever!" And she looked sad and said "don't like P. Don't like drawing." And was about to cry until I distracted her.

Maybe she'd be really happy if I shat on everything instead?! :lol: haha!

My son is the same, he's a bit better now than he used to be but I'd say well done Josh that's great and he's reply no it isn't!! Also if I said I was proud of him he didn't like it. He is also fixated on everything being normal, it can't be good, bad, happy, sad etc just normal!! xx

Have you come across the concept of descriptive praise? That seems to be the in vogue way to deliver praise these days. Just a thought :)

It's quite common at that age, just completely ignore any responses like that & continue to praise, it may well be because she knows she gets a reaction from it.

Yeah, my little girl has decided that she doesn't like getting praise... but she can be fine with it one minute and then really not the next... not sure if it's something to do with tiredness or what... if i think about it I guess when we're in a bad mood i'm the same aha! I try not to react and just power on with the compliments regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gzmndrea
Back