PPROM at 15 weeks

ceri h

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We sadly lost our little boy last week at 17+2.

The pregnancy was not easy from the start - I had very bad sickness from the beginning and was given cyclizine by my GP.

Around week 12, I started having pink discharge and was referred for an early scan and cervical swabs, which showed everything was ok.

I had pink discharge / light bleeding on and off from that point.

Then at 15 weeks, I lost all amniotic fluid (PPROM) and was told that the chances of a healthy baby was none. They wanted us to terminate the pregancy but we decided to wait a week and have another scan to see if the fluid levels increase. We didn't want to give up.

I then went for a blood test to check for signs of infection as my waters had gone. This showed slightly raised levels of infection and I was given oral antibiotics and sent home. A few hours later the hospital phoned and wanted me to go in for monitoring over the weekend. I went in and they told me not to take the antibiotics so that's what I did. By the end of the weekend, the infection levels had come back down to normal.

The scan then showed no improvements with the fluid, so we made the hard decision to medically terminate as we felt it would be unfair to bring a baby with severe complications into the world :( This is what the doctors told us to do as the chances of getting to 34 weeks without going into labour or getting an infection were very slim.

So our little boy was born asleep last week :(

Has anyone had experience in this? Did anyone get a reason for the PPROM?

We have opted for a post mortem and I have some blood test scheduled before going back to see the consultant in a few months.

Has anyone had a pregnancy after PPROM - was the care you received any different?

Sorry for the long post!

Many thanks

Hi Cerih, I have no experience of PPROM but I wanted to express my sympathy on the loss of your baby boy, look after yourself, you are in my thoughts and prayers xxx

I am so sorry Ceri, you're being so brave. I have no experience of PPROM but I hope you are able to get some answers soon, a few of my friends and family have had various complications in their pregnancies resulting in late loss and stillbirth and they were looked after much better with their consequent pregnancies so I should think they would up the level of care for you, definitely.

Hi everyone,

The pregnancy was not easy from the start - I had very bad sickness from the beginning and was given cyclizine by my GP.

Around week 12, I started having pink discharge and was referred for an early scan and cervical swabs, which showed everything was ok.

Then at 15 weeks, I lost all amniotic fluid (PPROM) and was told that the chances of a healthy baby was none. They wanted us to terminate the pregancy but we decided to wait a week and have another scan to see if the fluid levels increase. We didn't want to give up.

I then went for a blood test to check for signs of infection as my waters had gone. This showed slightly raised levels of infection and I was given oral antibiotics and sent home. A few hours later the hospital phoned and wanted me to go in for monitoring over the weekend. I went in and they told me not to take the antibiotics so that's what I did. By the end of the weekend, the infection levels had come back down to normal.

The scan then showed no improvements with the fluid, so we made the hard decision to medically terminate as we felt it would be unfair to bring a baby with severe complications into the world :( This is what the doctors told us to do as the chances of getting to 34 weeks without going into labour or getting an infection were very slim.

We have opted for a post mortem and I have some blood test scheduled before going back to see the consultant in a few months.

Has anyone had a pregnancy after PPROM - was the care you received any different?

Sorry for the long post!

Many thanks

Hi Ceri,

I just lost my little one at 15+6. This was a week ago and I would have been 17 weeks yesterday. I was told on the day that I should terminate and I did start the process there and then and then came back to be induced 2 days later. It was quite simply the worst experience I have ever and hope to ever experience. I wanted to just post on here to see how you are 5 months on? I'd be interested to know if you decided to try again or had any further contact from docs/bereavement councilors etc afterwards as I've not heard a stitch from anyone yet. It's like I was never pregnant. Did you opt for an autopsy? I hope you got some answers if you did. Anyway... I just wanted to let you know I understand (I know it was a while ago for you) but still. I'd be keen to know how you're doing now. Take care

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the long post!

Many thanks

Hi Ceri,

I just lost my little one at 15+6. This was a week ago and I would have been 17 weeks yesterday. I was told on the day that I should terminate and I did start the process there and then and then came back to be induced 2 days later. It was quite simply the worst experience I have ever and hope to ever experience. I wanted to just post on here to see how you are 5 months on? I'd be interested to know if you decided to try again or had any further contact from docs/bereavement councilors etc afterwards as I've not heard a stitch from anyone yet. It's like I was never pregnant. Did you opt for an autopsy? I hope you got some answers if you did. Anyway... I just wanted to let you know I understand (I know it was a while ago for you) but still. I'd be keen to know how you're doing now. Take care

I am so sorry for you and Ceri. I had a D&C at 14 weeks as the baby wasn't growing as it should and wouldn't be viable into third trimester. I had no choice about the D&C and I'm glad as my partner back then was useless. It all happened with me in some sort of haze. I don't really remember much about it apart from waking up on a maternity ward, surrounded by women and newborn babies which I still get so very angry about. Happy new mums are not what you want to be surrounded by when you're in agony and bleeding through pads every 15 minutes after losing your baby.
I can't imagine how much harder it must have been for you.

I'm now 38, 12 years on from that and think I'm currently losing an early pregnancy, time will tell, but I can say that I'm not being offered any additional care as I don't need it. If this baby is lost, then that might change.

I would imagine in your case, you will get additional care and if it's not offered, I'd certainly ask for it.

Big hugs xxx

I have no experience of this at all but I just wanted to send you my condolences and say how sorry I am to hear of this tragedy. You are in my thoughts and I hope things go better the next time round xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back