Possible Blocked Milk Duct...

munchkin1982

Reaction score
...or worse :-(

I've been breastfeeding Layla now for just over 6 weeks and had no problems at all until yesterday (sunday afternoon) .

I had a sudden pain in my left breast and had a good old feel and found a lump :-(

Went to the doctors today and she has no idea what it may be but said that it may be:

blocked duct
blocked duct + infection
abcess

She has put me on 14 day anti-biotics and told me to go back next mon. If it hasn't cleared or gone by then I will be referred to breast clinic... :-( :-( :-( I'm so scared... :-(

Has anyone else been through this? xx

No I haven't but just want to say that I hope it's nothing sinister and that the antibiotics work.

I've been breastfeeding for 15 weeks and I occasionally get sharp pains, I put it down to Isla emptying my boob.

Fingers crossed for you
Emma xx

Yes I had this with Rosie, it gave me mastitis. The most important thing you can do is to keep feeding, it might hurt but you need to keep it flowing. Big hugs hun xx

I had this, had a painful lump near my armpit on my left boob. I kept feeding lots from that boob and massaged the lumpy bit whilst feeding. I also expressed from that boob to really empty it out. I think it went away within 3-4 days :)

It does still return a little bit if I don't feed regularly enough off that boob so it's obviously something I'm prone to.

thanks girls...

Mastitis - is that as bad as it sounds? Think i need to get more clued up on these things now... xx

I had a really big hard lump in one of mine recently - after nothing in well over a year of feeding Toby - and it was so painful...it felt like my whole breast was bruised if I poked it? I started massaging it down towards the nipple every time I fed him from that side, and also massaged the same way in a hot bath/shower. Mine did clear up after a few days but I did think I was going to end up with mastitis - I would have gone to the doctor but as I'd had no symptoms of an infection I wanted to wait (I'm awful for not going when there's clearly something wrong :blush:) Hope it gets better for you soon and the antibiotics help x

you could always ask your health visitors advice or a breast feeding group tey will probaby kow more than the doctor about blocked milk ducts x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back