Position of the cervix?

nicki

Reaction score
This may sound odd but does anyone know what position the cervix is meant to be in just before labour starts?

Sorry if this sounds a bit grim :oops: but I thought I would see if I could feel it & see if the mucus there would be bloody or not (I used to check it when we were TTC to know what it feels like etc) but i've tried a couple of times now and couldn't reach it at all, so wondering if thats a good or bad thing? Also if I couldn't reach it & I go overdue how will the midwife be able to reach it to do a sweep?

Any thoughts would be appreciated :D

Thanks.

Nicki.x :D

Hiya Nicki

I know at this stage you will be looking for signs as to how long it will be until your labour starts, as I did - But position of your cervix at this point will give you no clue as to when your labour will begin.
There are several things a health professional could tell you from a vaginal examination at this stage, such as if your cervix is dilated, it's ripeness (consistency), whether its effaced - this is how thin your cervix is and they can also tell the position of the baby in relation to your pelvis, which is measured in pluses and minuses.

Many people try to use the information that is gathered from a vaginal exam to predict things like when labor will begin. A vaginal exam simply cannot measure this.
Labor is not simply about a cervix that has dilated, softened or anything else. A woman can be very dilated and not have her baby before her due date or even near her due date.

Just bear in mind that vaginal exams can increase the risks of infection, even when done carefully and with sterile gloves, etc. It pushes the normal bacteria found in the vagina upwards towards the cervix. There is also increased risk of rupturing the membranes so keep them to a minimum if you can!

Good luck - Hope your labour starts soon and you have your baby safely in your arms in no time!

you may have a cervix that is towards your back, all these pains and things you are gettin is bringing it forward thinning it out and dilating it.

I agree with rachel the way your cervix is doesn't predict labour. I was told your labour could start first even though you are not dilated or anything, labour effaceses you and dilates you.

2 days before i went into labour i had a vaginal exam after i reported constant period pain, lower back ache and contractions on and off. Anyway she said i was 1 cm, (which you usually are towards the end) but my cervix was really thick and far back and i still went into spontanious labour.

i dont no if there is any way of telling..
with my first child i went to the midwife at 34weeks at 2.30pm for regular check up
she said the heads not engaged baby was laying side ways.. :roll:

5hrs later my water broke
nxt day i had a baby :dance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare