PND or just lack of sleep?

MissLauren

Reaction score
I'm not going to go into too much, but basically I've been concerned about the way I'm feeling and have been dealing with my newborn. Everything coincides with having post natal depression. The only thing is, is that I feel considerably different, and much happier and capable of coping when I've had a decent sleep (if OH is doing night feeds or my LG is at grandmas). So I'm questioning myself whether it is PND, or I just don't deal with lack of sleep as well as I should.

I feel like I won't get taken seriously if I tell anyone, even my OH. Half the time I ask myself how on earth I could be 'depressed' with this wonderful creation that has entered my life.

How do I even go about approaching the doctor with this? Something has not been right with me since day one and I need to sort it out. Any experiences/opinions that will help are welcome! x

How old is your LO and do you have regular visits from your HV? I was kept track off from the start really as all professionals could see I wasn't coping. It all went wrong when I relocated and the new HVs didn't bother getting in touch. If you are in regular contact with the HV then mention it then. The GP saw me at the 6 week check up and also saw that I wasn't coping and continued to see me every week until I moved.

Ultimately, definitely speak to a health care professional if you are at all concerned, they are there to help.

How old is your little girl? My HV did questionnaires with me every time I saw her which was an indicator to how you really were coping. Maybe if you have a visit coming up, you could mention to het how you are feeling. If not, make an appointment with your GP. PND doesn't mean you don't love your child, or that you're a bad mother. Some people just need a little more help to adjust xx

She's 6 weeks tomorrow. I have seen my HV twice so far and don't see her again until April. However I have my post natal check on monday at my doctors so that will be a better time to mention it. To be honest, it didn't occur to me for a while, I thought I was coping brilliantly and just pushed the real emotions away and forgot about them. I love my little girl like no tomorrow and I wouldn't change her for the world, there's no doubt about that. I just want all these negative feelings to go away so I can enjoy her and she can enjoy me xx

Depression is often a chemical imbalance
Think what your hormones are doing to you throughout
Its hard to readjust sometimes x

Definitely go and speak to the doctor. They will certainly take you seriously, from my own experience they were more than happy to offer help and support. It has nothing to do with whether or not you love your baby or how much you love them. Having a new baby is bloody hard work and a huge adjustment, which is difficult to cope with for many mothers.

You've already identified something that could help you, getting more sleep. Don't be afraid to ask family if they would have LO for a night, or staying with you one night, so you could get more rest.

I was diagnosed yesterday. PM me if you want to know what happened at the GPs etc hun. I would say the first 6 weeks werr a struggle but it did get better after that so i think i had the blues for a while. The feeling i have now is somewhat different and not as 'intense' if you like . I would say the amoubt of sleep i get has no bearing on making me feel any better but everyones different. Ive been through a lot the past couple of months from preparing to move house in a couple of weeks, living very far from all my family and friends (hence the move), a new health jssue that was diagnosed last week and my disappearing brother who has cut me out his life since i had my baby. I had a difficult birth then was unwell for firat two weeks and couldnt look afyer my lo, couldnt breast feed and have had the comments of 'im sorry you werent given the support to breast feed successfully' (even tho that had jack all to do with it) going round and round in my head since. I dont know if there is a difference betweeb pnd and just depression but its pnd ive been diagnosed with though my gp said its all enough to make someone who hasnt had a baby depressed so i have no idea really. I did feel a lot better yesterday after my hv phoned the gp and told me to go. If it isnt PND your gp will be able to tell the difference between pnd and new mum.but its best to check. Even speaking to them about how youre feeling can be theraputic. I questioned ny feelibgs for too long (my lo is 18 weeks) and without my hv yesterday and one of the lovely ladies here (above :) ) id probably still be tryibg to brush it under the carpet. Talking about it is the first step but its the hardest xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back