Please please help

twinkle84

Reaction score
My 19 month is taking 2 hours to fall to sleep on a night! He used to be asleep within 5 min but all of a sudden he's taking up to 2 hours! He rolls around the cot etc but if I leave the room he screams and gets into a state (I tried control crying and couldn't handle it) so I end up sitting here for up to 2 hours! He has a good bed routine but please please tell me something I can try to get him to go off earlier?! I fear you're going to say to drop the daytime time which he falls to sleep for within 2 mins!! X

I only have an 8 month old so not much help! Sorry! Do u think it could b a bout of seperation anxiety at night? X

I Jane no idea hun, he does seem worse on my working days tho x

Does have a routine like bath feed bed?

If not maybe that is something you can introduce, sorry not much help only have a 6 week old....

Thanks he does, he has bath, we snuggle in bed watch postman par while he has milk then a couple of story's, a cuddle with a few nursery rhymes and bed - which has until the last few weeks worked perfectly! He was asleep by 8pm now it's 10pm! What's going on?! X

I know this won't help, but it might just be a phase. My girls 23 months now and isn't too bad now but she went through a stage of taking aaagggeeesss to get to sleep and I went crazy. However, Zoe said her LO did the same thing so I carried on and she's ok now. i really do think it's an age thing. Finding independence and seeing how long they can stay up.

Fingers crossed!!! Is your LO back to sleep ok now? So u don't think I need to drop day nap?! Xx

Id say keep the daytime nap. My LO still has between 1-2 hour nap each day and she's asleep within half an hour normally now (that's her norm). It probably took about a month of her spending hours going to sleep but it's slowly trailed off now. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Some babies around your LO's age don't need to nap for long during the day. I'm a childminder and alot of Parents often ask me to 'limit' their LO's sleep to an hour because they're not falling asleep at a reasonable hour at night.

Maybe wake him up after an hour and see how his afternoon goes and if he's grumpy go back to the longer sleep?

Just my advice from experience hun, tell me to shut up if i'm talking nonsense lol x

No not at all! Really appreciate that and will try only letting him have an hour and see of it makes any dif! Thanks xx

I know this won't help, but it might just be a phase. My girls 23 months now and isn't too bad now but she went through a stage of taking aaagggeeesss to get to sleep and I went crazy. However, Zoe said her LO did the same thing so I carried on and she's ok now. i really do think it's an age thing. Finding independence and seeing how long they can stay up.

AM is right I also went through it, drove me crazy! I kept in & out resettling her and eventually she returned to normal. I agree keep the day time nap xx

What time does he nap in the day? x

Hi Chick,
My lo is now 17 months (how time fly's). And we are experiencing the same problem. I def thing its a phase. He took around an hour to go to sleep last night. I went in once and just stood by his cot and settled him. he did eventually go to sleep. I'm not much help, but we are in the same boat. My lo has a nap in the morning for an hour at around ten. And sometimes half an hr in the afternoon. I find it doesn't make any difference to him going to sleep at night, if he has the afternoon nap or not. xxxxxx

You say you tried controlled crying but found it stressful, which I totally understand. Did you try to just leave him to cry it out? If so, maybe the softly softly approach might be easier on you both. Leave for 2 mins, go back in to shhhhh/stroke tummy/sing a song, then back out for 2 mins. We've just started this with our LO to wean her off of my boob (she has always fed to sleep) and it seems to be working for us all (though I fully appreciate this doesn't work for everyone).

Good luck!

ZMD his aft nap is usually between half 11 to 1 half 1. Thank god you think I can keep the nap just wake him a bit earlier from it! X
Don don how are u getting on? Any better? Still driving me crazy only just settled x

You say you tried controlled crying but found it stressful, which I totally understand. Did you try to just leave him to cry it out? If so, maybe the softly softly approach might be easier on you both. Leave for 2 mins, go back in to shhhhh/stroke tummy/sing a song, then back out for 2 mins. We've just started this with our LO to wean her off of my boob (she has always fed to sleep) and it seems to be working for us all (though I fully appreciate this doesn't work for everyone).

Good luck!

Hey I have honestly tried that! But he screams blue murder, and when I go in to lay him down he just screams and clings on to me! I need super nanny with me ha xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back