• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

please HELP! so confused and worried tax credits

V1ck176s

Reaction score
hi girls sorry that its another tax credit question !

Im so confused i have looked on the website about tax credits and have no idea.............

the only thing i know i will recieve is smp which is something like £135 per week and the child benefit that everyone is entitled to £20.30 per week

Working and c hild tax credits :S surely it will be only my husband money per year that counts as i wont be working..... really worried that im not going to afford our bills arhhhhhhh please help

Vicki xx

I would type into google 'entitled to' and use the online benefits calculator to work out what benefit you will get x

Check the online calculator :) works it all out for you :) I'm the same... Pretty worried... My statutory maternity pay won't stretch far!x

Unfortunately they take both salaries into account. We don't qualify for tax credits, which is a pity as it would have been useful as things will be tight, but I guess they need a to have a cut off at some point x

I really don't understand why they dont consider ur smp instead of it wages think I'm stuffed! :( wont be able to afford my rent !

Best thing to do is pop into your local CAB and see if there is anything you might be entilted to!

I really don't understand why they dont consider ur smp instead of it wages think I'm stuffed! :( wont be able to afford my rent !

It is annoying... I'm the same, don't qualify for it either. As its for the previous tax year, doesn't help much now, but I'm taking it we would qualify next year? As this years will be awful due to the SMP...!xx

I'm the same hun. We're not broke but it'll be tough when I'm only on smp. Can't get to grips with what, if anything, we'll be entitled to :-( xx

I had Amelia in March so sent forms in and got a payment at end of March so thought I would get this every month but when the end of April came, no payment was made so I rang HMRC and they said as it was a new tax year I had to claim again.
As I would be getting SMP until Dec I thought we would get something if I got a payment in March when I put our full wages in but I was wrong!! As the government changed the threshold in April we now werent entitled to anything but that was with my full wage.
I explained I was on Mat leave and they said how you work it out is anything you get each week over £100 on Mat leave needed to be added up, so £39 x how many weeks your on Mat leave then add that to what you would earn after Mat leave until the end of the tax year. You then need to add this figure to your husbands and tell them that.

Hope ive explained this so you understand and hope it helps.
This may also help
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/p...-tables/work-and-child/work-no-childcosts.htm

Not sure if you will be paying for childcare, if not use this or go to the one where you will be paying for childcare. x

We're the same , we didn't qualify either. I think the confusion comes because they base the result on last years income details?? I couldn't really understand it all (although MarchPumpkin did a wonderful job of explaining it, thanks).
As if we dont all have enough to be worrying about, we have to worry we cant afford bills!
Good luck :)

Thanks for all our comments rung tax credits entitled to nothing :(

It is annoying... I'm the same, don't qualify for it either. As its for the previous tax year, doesn't help much now, but I'm taking it we would qualify next year? As this years will be awful due to the SMP...!xx

By the time most people would qualify (IE after a year on SMP) they tend to go back to work so are no longer legible for most benefits :shock:

It is sickening and makes my blood boil

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

By the time most people would qualify (IE after a year on SMP) they tend to go back to work so are no longer legible for most benefits :shock:

It is sickening and makes my blood boil

xxxxxxxxxx

Oh me too... A little help when we need it would be nice... I was thinking about this though...
This year 2012/2013... I am not entitled to any tax credits as my wages are above the threshold.
So if in April next year, they work out what I am entitled to for 2013/2014, I would input what I earned, I would qualify... Due to SMP, would I not?!? As it seems they take on your last year...
Then 2014/2015 I would then not qualify again, as I would have returned to work...?!?
I'm going to have to phone the tax credits and actually find out about it...
Makes me mad too...!!!

Thanks for all our comments rung tax credits entitled to nothing :(

That's ashame :( not good news! I need to ring up, but iv tried before and was kept on hold for ages...x

I waited for ages and even on maternity pay not entitled
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back