Im confused..again...tax credits.

nickilubs

Reaction score
:wall: Im confused again.....child tax credits do you ONLY get them if you or your partener is working.

I work 20hours. I will be on maternity leave for 3months my OH doesnt work so does that mean that I wont get them till I go back to work? Do you get child tax credits and working tax credits what is the diffrence?

Sorry for all the questions its just this is really confusing me and even if I read up on it I can never make sense!

You should still be entitled to child tax credits Honey, I don't work due to illness and my OH don't work as he looks after me and I claim child tax credits. I'm not sure if the amount you will receive is connected with income so make sure when you claim you have all your financial details to hand - and remember to inform them of any changes or they might overpay you then ask for it back which is a pain. Best phone the tax credits helpline if you're unsure though.

Sarah xxx

:hug: Thanks Choco.

It just really confused me today I was saying to my boss about the child tax credits and she said I cant get them till I go back to work because the lady before me was struggling with that too. :think: Ah Ill give them a call tomorrow,

Its also because when I phoned to ask if I would be able to get the sure start mat grant they told me that I would be able to claim that when I claim the tax credits but you have to claim it within 11 weeks of having the babe so that would mean being back at work before 11 weeks so you get tax credits and the sure start haha doesnt make sense! :)

You can claim sure start mat grant from 29wks pregnant til 3months after baby is born, it's for people on low incomes, so if you on mat pay from work and your partner has no income you may qualify for it. Also it may be worth applying for income support (even if only on a temp basis) as that is a 'passported' benefit which entitles you to other benefits which could help in the meantime. Its worth applying to see if you are entitled to it or not tbh.

Sure start mat grant link is

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/sb16/ssmg.asp

Sarah xxx

I phoned the tax credits office to ask about this. I was told that we were entitled to £20 a week based on last years income, and then I need to update them when I know what my annual income will be for this tax year on mat pay and she said my tax credits should go up.

Tax credits have nothing to do with tax and (in my opinion) have a stupid name! It says on the form notes that you are still considered to be working if you are on maternity leave. Presumably the lady before didn't read that bit so that stopped her application? :think:

You can claim for tax credits hun because you're still classed as employed even though you're on maternity leave.

Strangeness said:
You can claim for tax credits hun because you're still classed as employed even though you're on maternity leave.

I kind of doubt it, but does this include when you have left a temp job and are now on Maternity Allowance? My husband will still be working but his contract is only for 12 hours, though he usually works a lot more than that.

I don't know about the ma thing but it is based on hours worked and income rather than contracted work. I am contracted 21 hours and so supply 14 hours but it asked average number of hours worked so I put 35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back