PLEASE HELP! should i wean??

princesskel

Reaction score
Hello! Am needing abit of advice as have been given so much advice and not sure what to do! My baby girl is 17 weeks tomorrow and was told by a health visitor to start heron baby rice but the one i saw today said to wait til 6 months or if she starts losing weight or becomes very unsettled. Rhianna seems fine and is breastfeeding 3 hourly and sleeping through the night but she has taken such an interest in out food - gets all excited watching us eat and has started putting her hands and everything else in her mouth! I did try her on some baby rice today and she gobbled it up straight away and knew exactly what to do - didnt spit any out at all. When it was all gone she cried! What should i do?? Thanks Kelly xx

I weaned my LO at 17 weeks just on baby rice at first and he loved it and hasn't stopped since. I think they have to put 6 months because of the government guidelines that its best for a baby to have breastmilk until 6 months but most babies I have heard of cant wait that long and if your HV has advised it I wouldn't worry at all. We used the heinze baby rice if that hepls at all. Good luck with your weaning!

Weaning is a mine field and has to be done with the up most care... Its when you find out if your child has allergies or intolerances to food...Its also a huge change and can be unsettling for your LO especially having to digest a different type of food...you often find that they get constipated with this and its not nice to be constipated at any age.

Tbh if your LO is doing fine sleeps through the night, only feeds 3 hourly then why mess with a good thing iykwim...

Lil miss wakes 4 times a night minimum, feeds every 1.5 hours, then just pukes and feeds, pukes and feeds, and is really unsettled, but as she seems to have quite a sensitive tummy... I am reluctant to introduce anything just yet...but thats just me.. However, I introduced solids to Tia by 3 months and she did just fine...although it never helped her sleep better at night :rotfl:

As for the whole putting things in the mouth... they do it with everything...At this age the mouth contains more nerves and transmits more sensory data than any other part of their body and its the only way they are able to discern foods for future survival.... I'm sure though, that lil miss is thinking... Hey.. why can you put that in your mouth and I can't put ANYTHING in mine :shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead: which is probably why she stares sooo much.

You will always get conflicting advice on these matters, but you need to take it from your instinct... if you think your LO is fine right now, then don't wean. :) Just because people say you should and they have done the same with their kids doesn't mean you should...every child is individual...

I have weaned both my children before 6 months going by similar signs that you have mentioned and have encoutered no problems at all and have eager children who love their food and no bad eating habit or health problems by weaning early.

If you think shes ready - and only you will know. Then thts completely upto you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back