please help HV is useless with advice

weestar21

Reaction score
Ok HV came out today as i can never make it to thebaby clinic...lol
right she weighed Colby and she was 10lbs 14oz :shock: was a shock as i didnt think she would be that i thought she would have just hitthe 10lb mark, anyway

i asked her about colbys feeding she takes 7oz of aptamil second for hungrier babies every 3 hours and takes 5 bottles from 7.30 am till 8.30 at night and sleeps all night.
about 1 hour after a feed she will look very hungry and she will take a lil drink of water im lucky if its an oz then shes sick. Colby was 12 weeks on tuesday and i asked the HV if i should start giving her a lil bit of baby rice in the morning ( quarter of a tea spoonfull) and HV said 'NOOOOOOOOOOO the studies have now proven that babies shouldnt be getting anything untill 6 months old and should still be getting night feeds at least 1 feew during the night :?'
i went on to ask what sort of study are they doing and here is where its getting confussing as im not sure wether shes right or not!!

she said that they do the studies on 3rd world ****ries where obviously babies there have to be breast fed and there tummies cant tolerate anything other than breast milk for 6 months.
Should i ignore her advice and just go ahead and see how colby takes to it as she does seem very hungry after an hour but wont take anymore milk as shes taking 7oz and anymore liquid shes sick with and prob brings more up than she has taken (sorry if this doesnt make any sence)

i dont really like my HV lucy if u read this u know who im talking about....lol

i dont want colby starving but on the other hand i dont want to cause any damage long term

pleassssssssssssssse help if you can

jean & girls
xxxxxxxxxxxx

the advice that you shouldnt start weaning til a child is 6mths is relativly new advice.

I introduced solid foods to both of my 2 from 11/12 weeks and it did them no harm and wont do them no harm in the future.

Do what you think is right for Colby if you think she is ready for it then try it if she isnt she will soon let you know ;)

Thanks hun i think i will try her with some in the morning OH has just told me yesterday he gave her a tinny piece of banana he was eating he mushed it in his mouth i know horrid but she ate it and was looking for more but he didnt tell me incase i went mad, it wasnt till i changed her stinky botty there was tinny brown pieces in it (sorry tmi) and i said to him whats that he said oh it will be the banana comming through :shock:
he said is was just a tinny piece and i dont feel any harm has been done so as of tomoz Colby will be having some baby rice i just hope im doing the right thing but i guess if she doesnt take to it i can always leave it till a few weeks and try again.

Thanks hun
xxx

Since when should babies still need a night feed till they are six months? did i read that right? :shock:

never heard that one before. nothing wrong with night feeds if your baby wants them but no way would i have woken alex up once he started to go through the night! i might be dumb but i'm not crazy :think: he's not had a night feed since he was 10/11 weeks!

anyway early weaning is a bit of a sensitvie issue at the mo on here :? i guess as the others say you should look into all the available info and make your own decision. all i can say is i started alex on baby rice at 16/17 weeks and we are now on three meals a day and the same amount of milk as before! he seems to be thriving.

xxx

when i was weaning Adele it was always start on baby rice from 3 months, things have changed alot in 4 years. Im not sure if that HV advice is correct as she does seem to think she knows it all.
I did tell her no way was i waking Colby during the night for a feed as she has been sleeping right through since she was 4 weeks old and im not going to change her routine again.
Sometimes i do wonder if they just tell u any old crap to shut you up.....lol

Not about the weaning but just wanted to say that it's supposed to be normal for a baby to wake for a night feed up until 6 months (but not all babies do). After that you can start to try and wean them off of the night feed. I don't think she wanted you to wake your baby (I don't think), but was probably trying to reassure you that it's normal for her to want a lot of milk. But then I don't know your HV.

you wouldnt want to know her if you could wrap a baby in cotton wool she would have everyone doing it shes so old fashiond its unreal, she told me that i couldnt take colby out untill she was 2 weeks old because of germs ect but then with all the visitors and her being born in an nhs hospital im sure there were more germs in the hospital than being outdoors in the fresh air......lol

hi hun I first gave ella solids at about 15 weeks. at first she wasnt that interested and pushed it out with her tongue but evetually she took to it and she loves her solids and has 3 meals a day. All I can say is its up to you, it wont do her any harm if you try her with a wee bit of baby rice, she will let you know if she isnt ready for it. and if she's not then try again in a couple of weeks, good luck x

day 1 of baby rice

ok made up just one teaspoonfull and wasnt too runny and not to thick, she loved it and no mess either you should have herd the noises she was making....lol after it she took 5 oz of milk aswell and slept for 4 hours and then took her usuall 7oz bottle no poopy nappy just yet but im just waiting on that and she seems so much happier thismorning i think i may have made the right choice so fingers crossed

thats good hun, you know they are enjoying it when they make that noise, ella does it do like she is really enjoying it and she cant get enough of it!

If shes taking it she's obviously ready for it so carry on.

My hv told me about this 6 month feeding thing and that it's because of babies in the 3rd world countries, she said that their mothers put them on rice at 4 months and because of the poor quality water a lot of babies were dying so now they have said 6 months as the babies can tolerate the water better, she told me to feed Abi when she was ready i started at 4 1/2 months and Abi was 5 weeks prem and she is fine with food, just do what you think is right, i was given rusks from a very young age and i have no problems apart from being a bit mad :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back