• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Please help - Baby carrier for older baby

kellyandbump

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a baby carrier that can be used for Chloe when she is a little older. She loves to be in her carrier, at the moment we have a Tomy carrier as she loves to be facing forward but she is getting a little big for it now. Will I have to stop carrying her or is there one that would be better for her?

I would recommend a mei tai - much more comfortable for you both then a carrier type. There are many different makes, if you google mai tei it will some up with different makes.

Some people prefer wraps - a long piece of cloth that you tie. they are very versatile but have the most learning of any carrier. They allow you to do any sort of carry and adjust to be very comfortable on you. I have around a dozen and they are great. You can survive with just one, I just like having different ones in different colours and in different lengths. If you want to get a wrap I recommend a Storchenwiege Leo 4.6.
Some prefer soft structured carriers (SSCs)- they have buckles but will be far more supportive than yout Tomy. I tried a friend's Tomy once and it was shockingly uncomfortable in comparison to any of mine. (for the record i have 3 Connectas, a Kanga-X and a Pikkolo)
Some prefer meitais - they are like SSCs but instead of buckles the straps are longer so you can tie them. This makes them a touch more difficut to put on until you practise (they're not nearly as difficult as tying your laces though and I'm betting you can do that) but more adjustable so you can get them to fit you just right. I have lots of these too :oops: I recommend a wrap conversion as I find these more supportive - my favourite is a Hybrid by Ocah. That said, my Bamberoo is very suportive too.
Some prefer ring slings and pouches. I don't because I prefer a 2 shouldered carry.

Whatever you decide to get, make sure you buy one that several people have recommended. There are some mei tais on ebay that people have bought and found to be unsupportive and in some cases unsafe for example.

Remember that good carriers don't lose much in the way of value so you can sell it on once you are finished babywearing and get back most of the money. They ten to drop £10 - £20 in price depending on condition. So that's not much to pay for years of lovely supportive carrying!

I love the look of all of those the only problem being that Chloe hates facing me and wants to see around her. I think I am going to have to look for something like the Tomy that would work for when she is older, was hoping to find one that could be used till she was 18 months. Perhaps my baby carrying days are over.

If you go for one of the slings where you can do a hip carry, she could face out and see the world! I don't know which ones they are as I know nothing! I have knackered shoulders and can't use anything, but I am a jealous wannabe baby wearer so I read all the threads!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back