Period is late but recently stopped depo... Advice please!

ccarriee

Reaction score
Right, I'm 25 years old and have been getting the depo injection on and off for about a year (on and off meaning that I've missed the odd one), having taken the mini pill for several years prior to that. I was supposed to go back for another injection on 3rd December -my GP told me 22nd November, but I think she worked it out wrong or perhaps she was being overly cautious because I am scatty. But I had trouble getting an appointment due to the snow and realised that I was going to have to wait until my next period, since my GP will not administer the injection unless it is during the first three days, to be absolutely sure you're not pregnant. I should mention that whilst I don't get my period when using hormonal contraception, I've never had to wait longer than a month before getting my period when I've missed pills or injections in the past. And my cycle always remains the same, bang on the 24th of the month. All of this suggests my body goes back to normal very quickly after stopping hormonal contraception and that it does not affect my period returning at the earliest opportunity.

I had unprotected sex on the 10th and the 11th of this month, which would be close to my ovulation date if I was actually ready to ovulate. Then I had unprotected sex again on the 19th and the 20th. Stupidly, I assumed that I couldn't get pregnant that soon after the depo running out and didn't take the morning-after pill. I used a home test after being 4 days late but it was negative. I'm now 9 days late and am experiencing symptoms -feeling bloated, gaining a few pounds, somewhat queasy but not actually being sick, peeing often, white vaginal discharge (sorry!), cramps, enlarged breasts which are tender, slightly darkened nipples, unusually hungry, craving particular foods that I don't usually like, too hot all the time, headaches, stressed, moody, irritable- but don't know if I could actually be pregnant so soon after stopping the depo. From what I've read online, it would be unlikely. I know that having just broken up with my partner could have caused me to miss my period due to stress, but it's never happened to me before and let me tell you, I've suffered from a lot of stress in the past!

So am I mad to think that I could be pregnant? Should I test again? What if it still reads negative? Very worried and would like some advice, particularly if you have experience of conceiving shortly after coming off the depo.

Thank you ever so much!

If you test again hun it will gave u an idea(if ur late u may as well now) and go back to docs for advice x

Hey hun,
I had my last depo in june so it ran out in september (I was only on it for 9 months) it took 2 months to have my first period which was november. Since before that first AF I've been feeling extremely sick, tender breasts, cramps etc (which I'm still experiencing now!) all tests I've done have been negative. I went to my GP and he said its most probably the effect of depo wearing off - I've tested since then and still negative! Apparrently quite a few women get pregnancy symptoms because of the change in hormones in the body.
Coming off Depo seems to vary for all - it can cause some women not to have a period for a year - as you've had your period back before it could be that your pregnant or it could be just taking a bit longer this time. I would say test again and also go back to your Docs for advice.
Hope that helps
Cat x

I wason the depo for about 2 years and it took about 3 months for af to return I was trying for about 6 months after before I got preg xx

Saying that, everybody's different xx

it could be just the symptoms of coming off the depo. when i came off the pill...those 1st 2months were unbeliveable....i could have bet a million pounds i was pregnant...the symptoms were unreal.........x

Thank you for all your replies. I had originally decided to wait until about 30 days after I first had unprotected sex before testing again (which would be in one week's time), but am getting anxious and want to do it sooner. What with it being a bank holiday, I anticipate some difficultly in getting an appointment at the docs tomorrow and may have to hold on until later in the week. So, one more question- if I buy another home test tomorrow then is it okay to pee in a cup first thing, cover it, then use that to test with later in the day? or is it best to use 'fresh pee' so to speak, even if it's more diluted? Might seem like a weird question, but if I can't get an appointment then I want to make sure that my test is accurate.

Hi Hun,

I only had the depo injection once which was in February time last year.. Still to this day my cycle is throwing wobblers! I guess its differant for everybody as my bestfriend had it for 3 years and came off it 6 months ago and has a very regular cycle.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back