Perineal massage

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by SugaryIris, Feb 17, 2020.

1. SugaryIris

SugaryIris Well-Known Member

Hi all, just wondered if anyone has tried perineal massage to prevent tearing and if so, has it been useful? In all honesty I’m not even sure how it is possible to do on yourself when you are full term!

2. Rainbow1234

Rainbow1234 Well-Known Member

I’ve never tried it, I have read about it though and a suggestion is to get your partner to do it (no thanks lol) x

3. night owl

night owl Well-Known Member

I did try it, it was quite difficult to do with a huge bump and felt a little bit uncomfortable with the stretching that the method tells you to do, can’t say how well it worked as I ended up having an episiotomy anyway but my episiotomy cut healed brilliantly and quickly so maybe it helped in that respect!

4. MoominGirl

MoominGirl Well-Known Member

I gave it a go but my experience was pretty similar to night owl. I also had an episiotomy which got infected but the GP did comment on how well it had healed at my postnatal check and I certainly had a good postnatal recovery in the physical sense compared to a lot of people despite a difficult labour. I always wrote it off and was never sure I was doing it right but after reading night owls post maybe it did.

night owl likes this.
  5. Alexis2017

Alexis2017 Well-Known Member

I bought the expert midwife oil to do it and I tried it once and found it pretty painful and then didnt try it again... Probably should have!

Also i tried it at 33 weeks.. Doubt id be able to navigate the bump now

night owl likes this.
  6. SugaryIris

SugaryIris Well-Known Member

Ok so mixed reviews. Yeh I definitely wouldn’t be getting dh to do it, maybe I’ll give it a go, maybe I won’t. I guess if you’re going to need an episiotomy you’re going to need one.

night owl likes this.
  7. Niknaknoo

Niknaknoo Well-Known Member

My mate swears by it! I’d like to try this time, didn’t last time and had quite a bad tear. Not sure I want oh to do it though and I can barely reach as it is!

8. Kitana

Kitana Moderator

Never did it and tore a bit on the inside with DD2 and didn't tear with DD2, I 'm not sure how a massage will help with the internal tissues, as it's a bit due to the lubrication of the baby when they come out.x

9. WinterWolf

WinterWolf Well-Known Member

It think it nothing for me - I had to have an episiotomy plus I had a lot of internal tears, it all healed pretty poorly too.

10. Layney

Layney Well-Known Member

I did it and never tore at all. Nearly 9lb baby too