Perineal massage

Countrybumpkin

Reaction score
This is something that my MW recommended i started straight away, due to being a horse rider and Mum also being a horse rider and had a 3rd degree tear with me.

All the oils i have seen say not to use until 6 weeks leading up to your due date. So not keen to use them in case they have some sort of oil in that shouldn't be used in the 2nd tri.

Any ideas on what to use, or has anyone else on the board used something from an early stage that they could recommend??

There is one in mothercare but unsure when it suggests to start using it. To be honest i dont think it would do ay harm to start now as surely the ingredients cant be harmful to pregnant women? Also i have been told olive oil is another good oil to use down there.

Thank you.
Not something i really want to do, but have decided i will hate myself if i don't and end up like poor Mum. Basically horse riding makes this area, shall we say firmer, and no give.

Thank you.
Not something i really want to do, but have decided i will hate myself if i don't and end up like poor Mum. Basically horse riding makes this area, shall we say firmer, and no give.

That's interesting! I used to ride all the time but haven't for a good 6 months before baby was conceive so lets hope it's more 'favourable' down there! lol!

My MW said to use Olive Oil :)

I would think it did the opposite.. Oh dear :( Im screwed. Lol

I normal carrier oil should be fine like grapeseed or if your ok with nuts then almond oil should be fine x x

what do u do with it?

The most dignified way i think of doing it is put some oil on some cotton wool and wipe the area between front and back, makes it more flexible and less likely to tear. (I am crossing my legs as i think about it)
Not the most glamorous of tasks! lol!

I've been getting my husband to do this for me using baby oil. Dont know if it works but he doesn't seem to mind!

You could just get OH to lube up with olive oil and go doggy.. that rubs that area nice Lol

Have just been to Morrisons and got me some Olive oil ;)

Oh and apparently this is how it's done:

1. Whoever is giving the massage should trim their thumbnails or finger nails and scrub their hands and nails.
  2. Sitting with your legs spread comfortably apart, massage a little oil into the outside of the perineum and on your fingers and thumbs
  3. Insert your thumbs about half a thumb length into your vaginal canal, and apply pressure to the perineum, the area between the vagina and anus. If your partner is doing the massage they should use their index fingers. You should stretch the perineum until you feel a slight stinging sensation. When you feel that sensation hold the stretch for about a minute
  4. Circle your thumbs to massage the oil into the tissues down to the base of the vagina, gently pulling the tissues forward and back
  5. Now apply pressure against the sides of the vagina, moving thumbs in a 'u' shape up from the part of the vagina closest to the anus. Again, you should stretch enough to feel a slight stinging sensation, without inflicting pain on yourself. Gently pull the tissues of the sides of the vagina downwards in imitation of how your baby's head will pull on the tissue during birth. Do this about half-way up the sides of the vagina and don't pull, rub, stretch or put pressure on the urethra at the top
Remember that the massage should be gentle and not abrasive or vigorous. Initially you probably won't be able to stretch the tissues very far before the stinging sensation kicks in, but the point of the massage is that with repetition you'll be able to stretch more and more. To make sure you do the massage every day it helps if you build it into your daily routine. Some women may find that a bath before-hand helps to relax them ready for the massage, others may find the massage itself relaxing, particularly as they become more adept at it. And if the intimacy of perineal massage gets you and your partner in the mood for love then why the hell not!

Source: http://www.thinkbaby.co.uk/your-pregnant-body/perineal-massage-the-hows-and-whys/196.html

Last edited:
Blimey not easy to apply, i thought it would be a case of rubbing it on job done!

Thanks ladies, not pleasent thoughts, i was told to start this at 13 weeks, still thinking about it, LOL. I know i need to, knowing i horse ride and how it effected my Mum.

Yep i ride too but not since i was 14 weeks but i didn't realise how much was involved lol!!!

I think it is a completely personal choice to do this. I tried it but didn't like the feel and it made me sick, it also didn't matter because I got an episiotomy (against my will) so it was ruined anyway.

some friend I know have done this and some haven't. the one who did it got a 2nd degree tear, the other lady had nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back