Nuts and prawns (but not together....)

LauraKC

Reaction score
what has everyone been told about teh safety of eating 1) nuts and 2)prawns? i was told initally that all nuts were fine apart from peanuts and cooked shelfish, ie prawns, were fine as long as they arent raw. Howveer recently some people have said i shoudlnt be eating either and i feel bad as i have been having prawns and organic mixed nuts as they are so high in protein.

I was told that nuts are fine and to avoid peanuts if you or your partner have allergies otherwise they should be ok :D

I was told by my m/w to avoid all nuts but know this isn't the adivce given to a lot on hear...I have ate cooked king pawns too ...

not sure how far anyone should take this stuff...do what seems right to you

Hi

I was told by the m/w not to eat peanuts if any close family members had any sort of allergies, but all other nuts were fine.

She also told me that prawns were okay to eat if they were cooked thoroughly. I'm a bit confused about this and will ask the question when I see my m/w on Wednesday, but does that mean I'm okay with say a prawn/mayo sandwich, as the prawns are cooked, but not hot?

Caz x

ive been told that so long as the prawns are cooked/hot then there fine...

and unless you or your partner has allergies then tehre is no need to avoid nuts.

go by what ur own midwife says tho x

Hi

Prawns are ok. They just tell you to be careful when you eat them as if you get a bad one thats not cooked properly or its off then you could get a very bad tummy being sick etc which would be dangerous for your pregnancy. Its the same with salads etc you have to make sure that it is washed properly.

Mayo is just a big no no. I think its because of the eggs. I suppose if you get a bad batch of that then you would be very sick so its best to avoid.

You should also avoid eating too much tuna or word fish as they contain murcary but white fish is ok.

Dont forget to take your folic acid!!!!!! Even if you think you have a healthy diet make sure you take it as religiously as you can.

SARAH

I've eaten everything I shouldn't!! :shock: I think they give you too much to worry about these days - my god women have been having healthy babies for thousands of years and they didn't avoid anything!

I'm eating happily & heathily and if that includes eggs, prawns & mayo then so be it :D

The only thing i'm staying away from is Liver & Pate - thats it 8)

Hi

I did have the same opinion as you. I did sort of try and cut out the tuna etc but i thought the same. My friends wife is a pediatrician and she told me everything i should avoid etc and i did think bla bla bla.

I am a vegetarian and never eat ready meals. I didnt eat that much fruit but lots of veg and fresh food. Not much junk food just the odd biscuit and i have a thing about diet coke BUT after i found out my child had spina bifida at my week 20 scan my view changed!!!

They cant say what caused the spina bifida and it most probably had nothing to do with my diet as its very good BUT whats the point in risking it!!!!!!!!! I didnt really take folic acid. I started but then kept forgetting not i keep a food diary it really isnt work risking it!!!!

I agree women has been having babies for thousands of years and they coped but now we have the info we do whats the point of ignoring it?!?!

At least take folic acid if you are ttc or are pregnant.

Sorry to go on but after having to make the decision to end my pregnancy i have a different view on this.

Sarah

PS Theres not point risking your baby for the sake a meal you could avoid!!!

I've been taking folic acid and eating loads of fresh fruit & veg - I have a good healthy diet but I have eaten things occasionally that pregnant women aren't recommended to.

Thanks for putting the shitters up me - I have my scan this week and now you'll have me regretting every single prawn & egg i've eaten over the last 20 weeks.

Hi

I hope you are joking?? My intention isnt to put the "shitters" up anyone. Eating eggs and prawns wont make you have a baby with spina bifida. What i was saying was by eating mayo which contains eggs, that might be off, you could get bad diarrhea and food posioning which would obviously effect your pregnancy. Imagine how bad food poisoning by prawns can be and then think about why they tell pregnant women not to eat them unless they know they are ok!!

I eat prawns that i bought fresh from the fish market and cooked myself but even then i suppose it is still a risk bit its one that i probably would still take.

I think the problem is when i was pregnant i thought that it meant i would have a baby. I did panic over small things but i never thought that at my scan i would be the 1 in 1000 that is told the news that my baby had spina bifida. Even before getting pg i never really considered folic acid but i wish i had!!!! It might have made no difference at all but it does reduce the chance of having a baby with spina bifia by 75% which is worth considering.

You are very fortunate to be pregnant and all i was trying to say is maybe try and take educated risks, like eating prawns and eggs and mayo is you know where they have come from and are confident that they are not out of date.

Its not worth worry worrying about what might happen but it is worth remembering that someone has to be that 1 in 1000 or the sad story so just do all you can to make sure its not you BUT there is only so much you can do and as you said loads of women have babies with no problems at all.

I did read an article about 6 months ago where the government were going to make companies that produce bread to put folic acid in. I think their hope was that by doing this they would reduce the risk of such fetal conditions such as spina bifida. I didnt pay much attention at the time but now i think its a must!!

I ams ure your scan will be fine!! I sat in a line of mums to be that all came out smiling and so far on this forum and havent spoken to anyone with a similar story. I have searched the net to see if i can find someone on line that i can chat too who has had the same but havent spotted one yet. I have however come accross mant happy mums whos week 20 scan has gone just fine.

Sarah

sarah..i think your adivce is great and think despite you loss you come here and remind people of the importance of folic acid in particular. I spent about 10 minutes at the garage the other day looking for a sanwhich becuase i wouldn't eat one from a garage with mayo on but needed one i liked everyone including m/w have a interputation of whats ok and whats not but the basics are important

Surely you just have to be sensible? I eat mayo, egg's & prawns that I know are in date - I would never knowingly endanger my own health let alone my baby's...

Hi

I think you hit the nail on the head and your quite right its just about being sensible. If your cant be sure that goods have been stored or cooked correctly then dont take a chance.

I think this forum is great for all mums and mums to be as we can share knowledge and increase our understand of what we should or shouldnt do now we have a delicate life to consider.

Sarah

I've just had my second antenatal visit and asked the m/w about prawns. Basically she said that if I had been used to eating prawns (and all fish) before I was pg then there's no need to stop. Just make sure that if you have them in a hot meal they are cooked through and not just warm. She said I was also safe to eat a prawn sandwich, where the prawns are cold, but have been cooked.

She went on to say if I have no allergy to nuts, including peanuts, and no close relatives have allergies to them, then it is safe for me to eat peanuts and all nuts.

With regard to mayo, as long as it is paturised (which most shop bought mayo is - just check the label) then it is fine to eat mayo too.

Just thought I would let you know.

Caz x

are you supposed to keep taking folic acid all the way through? I didn't take it at all b4 my first PG, i started to when i realised I was PG on the MW's advice. Sadly I lost that baby

I carried on taking folic acid when I tried again and took it up to the end of week 14 of this PG as I was told (i think again by MW) that you don't need it after that - has anyone else heard that?

I carried on taking folic acid when I tried again and took it up to the end of week 14 of this PG as I was told (i think again by MW) that you don't need it after that - has anyone else heard that?

yes up to 14 weeks is the time when the folic acid is most beneficial to the baby but i take it on my multi vitamins it does no harm taking it after that time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back