Parents expecting too much?

Jellyboobs

Reaction score
I've lived with my parents since LO was born, and then me and my OH split up so I've had to stay longer. than planned. But it's really getting me down lately.

With being a single mum now, I made the decision to go back to work part-time. Although I only work Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays, they're super long days (7am till 5pm). Which I'm not bothered about, more money to spend on my girl! Luckily I have grandparents who are more than happy to look after LO for me.

When I get home, I give LO a bath, get her ready for bed, feed her, play with her, generally spend as much time with her as I can, then I have a little 'me' time once she's asleep then it's my bedtime.

It's no secret that my Mums a bit of a neat freak/pyscho :lol: and I do my fair share of tidying up on my days off coz I know what she's like. She works earlys (5am - 12pm) and y'all know how juggling a baby and housework is and sometimes I don't get it all finished before she's home. But the way she goes on at me, it's like a haven't done anything at all!

I know it seems a little bit lame to whinge about, but not wanting to pee my Mum off is actually driving me insane because I feel like I can't even go out with LO on my days off because there's always things to be done in the house (which, I have noticed recently, are being deliberately left because they all know I'm off).

On top of that, my Dad wants me to learn to drive, even to the point of him saying he'll pay for the lessons and my first car. But, IMO, it'll be a waste of time because there's no way I could afford insurance anyway (he refuses to believe its the price it actually is these days for young drivers).

He also wants to go fulltime at work (he's my boss, i've been quite lucky job-wise given current circumstances) because he knows my Grandparents love having Lily and would do it every day if asked, but he doesn't understand that I want to see her too! I miss her so much when I'm working as it is, and I don't want to become too tired to spend time with her.

I just feel like I can't please them, whatever I do.

:wall2:

Wow, super long rant, just needed to get it off my chest!

Can't really help hun but just wanted to say I really feel for you. Could you go to baby groups on your days off? Then you are out of the house but can spend quality time with Lily. That's how I get out of the guilt of not doing my own housework lol!!

Have you tried sitting down with them both and explaining how you feel? Really make it clear that you need to enjoy this time with Lily - she'll grow up so fast so this time is important!

I think the only way to sort this is to all sit down and talk about it hun, maybe come up with a housework rota to fit in with your work which also will leave time for you and LO to spend time together. That way you know what you need to do for that day and so do your parents.

I know it must be hard as when its your own home if you don't want to do it the only one it affects is you. But when you live with other people you feel like you need to keep on top of everything. I felt the same when we lived at my MIL's and that was before LO arrived!

*hugs*

All I can really say, is I sort of know how you feel. I still live with parents, and am expected to do pretty much everything. You should talk to them about how you feel. I just decided to get out of here, moving out end of next month, lol, but not always the easiest option. Hope everything gets sorted out, It sounds like you're doing wonderful

x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back