Panic attacks in pregnancy

susy

Reaction score
Hi, I had what I imagine to be a panic attack the night before last. I have never experienced this before and it was so frightening for me and my fiance. Has anyone experienced panic attacks in early pregnancy and is this normal?. I started out being really breathless and had a feeling that something was very wrong, both emotionally and physically. It was as if I was having seizures or convulsions and I was really scared about something and couldnt stop shaking and crying. after it was over, i was pretty shaken up and just thank God my fiance was there with me, because I think anyone else would have thought I was mad! I am only 6 weeks and had the impression till was something that happened a bit later on. I was also concerned it might have been an epileptic fit as I have had some symptoms of epilepsy before, but never experieced a fit. I just wondered if anyone had had a panic attack or fit like this before and if it could harm the baby?

I good friend of mine suffers from panic attacks. She gets really breathless, feels like she's going to die, shakes, has sweats etc. I remember her dr said the worst thing that will ever happen from a panic attack is passing out because you get yourself so worked up and your heart rate will increase to a level where you'll faint, then your body will go back to normal and your heart rate will drop.

As for whether it's harmful to your pregnancy I don't know, sorry. I know undue stress isn't good for you but if it doesn't happen that often I wouldn't have thought anything bad would come of it.

Hope you're feeling better now.

:hug:

Thanks Hannah! I will speak to my Dr about it when I get an appointment! Thanks for the encouraging words, I was worried about it happening again at work or when I am alone etc as I usually am during the week. :wave:

Focusing on your breathing is a great way to calm yourself down when you start to panic. You count your breaths, so you breathe in slowly through your nose then exhale slowly out for a count of one then repeat 10 times.

I used to get panicky occasionally and this technique really helped me as it took my focus off what was happening, especially good for if you're on your own too, as i often am.

Take care hun xx

Hello, this sounds like a classic panic attack - I have had panic attacks for about 10 years. When I did my pregnancy test on friday night and saw a positive result I literally passed out in panic and fear - was having out of body experiences etc.

I doubt that your panic attacks are harmful for the baby however they are obviously very distressing to you. The suggestion of deep breathing is a very good one - you should try to exhale more than you inhale as carbon dioxide is good for calming you down (you can get the same effect by deep breathing into a paper bag). I used to take beta blockers which block adrenalin but I don't think I can take them now. I am thinking of having some counselling (maybe cognitive behavioural therapy) as I have a feeling that if I do go ahead with my (v unplanned) pregnancy I will be very panicky throughout!

Good luck xx

I have a little panic when I start pregnancy in the 2nd month, I try to focusing on my breathing to calm it down... and everything go well after 3rd month..

you will be okay! :D

I have suffered panic attacks for many years as well, although *fingers crossed* I haven't yet had one whilst pregnant.

What you described sounds classic. It really does feel like you're going to die and all the symptoms are very physical indeed which is why people often think they're having a heart attack etc. I have the added joy of having my throat completely close off so I literally cannot breathe in and out. :)

It is not surprising when you think about the emotional upheaval a BFP brings you. And thinking into the future, worrying about quite literally everything. I have to really sit and force myself to take things one step at a time or it all gets too much.

Your doctor should be able to refer you to someone who can help with coping techniques for when it happens again, but to be honest Google will have quite a lot out there for you.

Hope you're ok, it's a very frightening experience and often anticipating the next one can lead you to change your behaviour so please make sure you keep doing the things you would normally do and not avoid situations/places as this can antagonise the whole thing

Massive :hug: :hug:

It definately sounds like a panic attack hun, I've had them before & they're awful & like you said atleast you werent on your own :hug:

Its easier said than done but the best thing you can try & do is concentrate on calming yourself by controlling your breathing - it is easier said than done half the time as its so frightening & seems like you have no control!
Like MissK said they reckon the counselling helps lots & it cant do any harm?
If you do get any proper seizures Defo go to the docs cuz i know of a lady who suffered with them mildy during pregnancy, not trying to scare you honey just passing on my words of wisdom (if you can call them that! :) )
Take care of yourself xx

Hi Broody, thanks for the advice, I havent had any more yet, but just keeping fingers crossed. I was a bit worried about the convulsions/seizures ( which were very similar to those I had with malaria a few years ago and quite violent) have a DRs appointment on Thursday. :wave:

St Marys in manchester have a specailist midwife team and Doctors that deal with panic attacks. My friend has panic attacks and she was worried that it would happen during labour. The team were there for her and she felt relaxed and insafe hands.

Thanks everyone for all your tips and posts. It was the first one I had so yes, was very scary. ( in fact it was as if I was hallucinating that my mother in law to be was after me and didnt like me. the whole panic attack was surrounding this.It was really strange and afterwards I felt terrible that basically I had told my fiance that his stepmother was out to get me! In fact I thought I was going mad. I am also due to get married in April and we are also moving to a new house, so yes it has been a busy time among other things.

Thanks so much, you have confirmed I am still normal xxxxxxxxxxxxxx :moon:

Good luck Susy,

I get panic attacks fairly regularly although bizzarly have not had any since falling pregnant.

Also when you are pregnant you can get heart palpitations to, these feel to me like the onset of a panic attack so it could be that you had a palp and that made you panic.

I find deep breaths, telling my other half straight away that I feel enxious, he usually gives me a foot rub or shoulder massage which helps calm me down and before I know it I'm back to normal again.

You nee some pampering girl, get that man working for you!!

x

thanks ladies, I have to say my guy handled it very well although he was pretty shaken by it. He did try hard to calm me down and sat with me for ages afterwards. will let you know what the Dr says, although I am feeling much better about it now, thanks to you girls! :angel:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back