panic about ginger tablets

Ginnymarie

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am in such a state

I have been taking ginger pearls thinking they are completely safe, 12g tablets

I read this today: my capsule is 12g !!!!! Am I stupid or what. No-one told me they were not safe....im so worried....thankfully I have only been taking them for 5 days or so:

can anyone shed any light on this, I am so worried.

Ginger is well-known for alleviating nausea and improving digestion. One gram of encapsulated ginger powder was used in one study to reduce the severe nausea and vomiting associated with hyperemesis gravidarum.8 This condition is potentially life-threatening and should only be treated by a qualified healthcare professional.

Because ginger contains some compounds that cause chromosomal mutation in the test tube, some doctors are concerned about the safety of using ginger during pregnancy. However, the available clinical research, combined with the fact that ginger is widely used in the diets of many culures, suggests that prudent use of ginger for morning sickness is probably safe in amounts up to 1 gram per day.

speak to your dotor or midwife honey. I'm sure it will be fine. How many grams of active ingredient are there? 12g could be made up of the capsule etc.. Does it say on the package not to use during pregnancy? Try not to worry, there's always conflicting advice about everything!

Hello

I am too scared to look....I don't have a midwife yet, I get one after my 8 week scan.
I read somewhere it has to be high doses over a period of time, I have only been taking them for a week on and off, I am just so worried as the fetus is so sensitive right now.

Ginger just seemed so natural, now i feel so stupid, I didn't even read the packet. It probably says to consulta doc first.

The thing is, damage done now...i know many babies are born when the mothers take all sorts of stuff, that is keeping me sane
thanks for you response though
x

Hi hun, I wouldn't worry too much and just give your GP or early pregnancy unit a call and ask them whether you should stop taking the tablets. I try noy to take anything unless ive spoken to GP/Midwife first. x

I wont take them anymore for sure

thanks for support Jo, I'm so worried..
x

Hey Gemma,

I'm sure evrything will be fine. It is doubtful that 5 days is long enough to do any harm. Contact your MW or Dr and see what they say. I would look at the bottle and see what the active ingredient amount is too - I'll bet it isn't 12mg.

Hi

how misleading, it says equivalent of 12g fresh root and actual amount 100mg so i feel silly for panicing, they are high strength though.
I guess the moral of the story is ask your doc about ANY supplments, herbs before you take them no matter how safe they may seem to be.
thanks for your advice girls
x

I think you can stop worrying, 100mg is the same as 1 gramme and the article you cited said you could have upto 1 gramme a day in pregnancy. I bet if you have a reall good curry you have more than 1 gramme of ginger, I think you'll be ok!! Phew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer:

Thought they would be fine Gemma. Glad you can settle your mind now xxx

Phew, panic over! Ditch the tablets and stick to ginger biscuits!!!!

Hi guys

yes I will stick to the ale, there are alot of sweeteners and chemicals in the ale but I am getting silly now..
why is pregnancy is complicated, in my last pregnancy I took codliver oil in high amounts for joint pain and was paranoid about that. I know you have to be careful about some oils and other herbs as well such as raspberry leaf etc...I also get confused over whether i can dye my hair, i even read the vegetable ones are not safe so I am proudly wearing a white streak in my hair right now (not!)...
anyone else a bit overwhelmed by it all ?
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back