Palpitations

Kimbo

Reaction score
for the last couple of days ive been getting palpitations quite a lot.
they started in bed on sunday night and i got them quite a lot yesterday but in the last 10 minutes or so ive had them every 30-40 seconds.
its actually quite worrying!!! my hearts not going to stop is it!!?? :lol: :lol:

No - at least I don't think it will :lol:

I had these really bad in 2nd Tri (even went to the docs about it - silly MM!) they are normal and fine :hug: :hug:

It's probably just anxiety over the pending birth Kim. You'll be ok :hug:

Give your tummy a rub Kimbo. Leah might be resting against a blood vessel or nerve. I'm sure I used to get a jumpy feeling in my heart and chest when I was pg and it was just Isaac pushing all my organs up into my chest (lovely). Doesn't help that baby has gone over your due date...she needs to come out!!!!

It might also be nerves, try and relax, theres nothing to worry about :hug:

i get them too :(

My MW said that your heart can pound a bit more because of all the extra blood, and once youve noticed it you get anxious and it gets worse, so you cant win, lol. :wall:

Apparently they're quite normal but they get worse / more noticable when you're stressed (which you must be, seeing as youve not popped yet :D :hug: )

thanks everyone
i was quite worried because they were getting worse so was thinking i was going to have a heart attack or my heart was going to stop! lol :doh: :hug:

As others have said, palpitations in pregnancy are quite normal and nothing really to worry about. A lot of people have them pregnant or not, just that for most they don't even notice they are having them.

How to explain what your heart is doing. Basically, your heart beats, but somewhere in there, the valve going out forgets to open for some reason, so while your heart keeps on beating as normal, as the valve remains closed, even for second, this then causes a delay. As the valve opens and the blood is forced through, as more is pushing up behind it, it can cause the lightheaded feeling and the 'whoosing' you might feel and your heart rate may increase for a little while to accomadate what has happened.

I've suffered them for years and often get very large ones, where I feel everything stopping for 5 seconds plus, then get the rush of blood going through and the very lightheaded feeling that follows. I also get lots of the small blip ones. I used to find the ones that occured when lying in bed at night quite frightening as it makes me feel quite ill, but it always rights itself.

I am not sure how big yours are, if they just feel like a small blip, or you can actually feel your heartbeat stop then start and beat faster for 20 seconds or so till it rights itself. Either way, the key thing to do if you find them distressing is to just remember to keep breathing normally.

During my pregnancy I have had to see the cardiologist a few times because of my heart problems, have had an echo, ultrasound and a few other things (I have a murmur also) and he assured me that up to 3 palpitations a minute was acceptable. Also as I already know things like stress, constipation, senditary lifestyle (I am guessing you are not moving around so much atm) can all go toward them happening.

If you want to drop me a PM about it feel free :)

Sherlock said:
As others have said, palpitations in pregnancy are quite normal and nothing really to worry about. A lot of people have them pregnant or not, just that for most they don't even notice they are having them.

How to explain what your heart is doing. Basically, your heart beats, but somewhere in there, the valve going out forgets to open for some reason, so while your heart keeps on beating as normal, as the valve remains closed, even for second, this then causes a delay. As the valve opens and the blood is forced through, as more is pushing up behind it, it can cause the lightheaded feeling and the 'whoosing' you might feel and your heart rate may increase for a little while to accomadate what has happened.

I've suffered them for years and often get very large ones, where I feel everything stopping for 5 seconds plus, then get the rush of blood going through and the very lightheaded feeling that follows. I also get lots of the small blip ones. I used to find the ones that occured when lying in bed at night quite frightening as it makes me feel quite ill, but it always rights itself.

I am not sure how big yours are, if they just feel like a small blip, or you can actually feel your heartbeat stop then start and beat faster for 20 seconds or so till it rights itself. Either way, the key thing to do if you find them distressing is to just remember to keep breathing normally.

During my pregnancy I have had to see the cardiologist a few times because of my heart problems, have had an echo, ultrasound and a few other things (I have a murmur also) and he assured me that up to 3 palpitations a minute was acceptable. Also as I already know things like stress, constipation, senditary lifestyle (I am guessing you are not moving around so much atm) can all go toward them happening.

If you want to drop me a PM about it feel free :)

thanks sherlock :D
yeah they are little ones.
not big... but pretty annoying and have happened quite a lot but you've put my mind at rest :D

aw hun. I have heard they are quite common and im sure it doesnt help with you being overdue and getting worked up about when little miss will make an appearance.

:hug: :hug:

I had this the other weekend Kim, it went on every 15 mins or so for hours and I was getting quite scared. I phoned the midwife and she said not to worry if I wasn't having any chest pain with them. They continued on off for about 3 days but then settled. My doc thinks it was due to anaemia and extra blood flow.
I don't think you have anything to worry about, but it won't hurt to ring and get some reassurance.

midna said:
Kimbo said:
thanks everyone
i was quite worried because they were getting worse so was thinking i was going to have a heart attack or my heart was going to stop! lol :doh: :hug:

Jeeebas kim you always think the absoulute worst ...and I thought I was pessemistic :rotfl: ..I think its your nerves but if you carry on worrying the way you are it will stop lol.

Now chill hoe ..chill xx

lmao, i was ok yesterday cos i hadnt had them that much but with them getting worse i was getting ready to pop off :rotfl: :rotfl:

haven't had any today... it's obviously cos im not worrying anymore that i'm gonna die :rotfl:

Kimbo said:
for the last couple of days ive been getting palpitations quite a lot.
they started in bed on sunday night and i got them quite a lot yesterday but in the last 10 minutes or so ive had them every 30-40 seconds.
its actually quite worrying!!! my hearts not going to stop is it!!?? :lol: :lol:

Don't stress honestly I had the worst palpitations in my 2nd tri for days on end :shock: I totally freaked, it mainly happened when I was resting or in bed. I actually thought my heart was going to expode :shock: I spoke to my Dr. who checked my BP and said it's all normal and that it's just your heart having to work doubly hard for you and bubs. If you are concerned though speak to your MW or Dr. and they can check it just to put your mind at ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back