Paid time off for Ante-natal appointments?

KeelyT90

Reaction score
Hiya,

I can't see any time restriction as to what amount of time employers are permitted to give you for paid time off for antenatal appointments.

ACAS website just says 'Reasonable time off'

I have an appointment for my 12 week scan on 19th May at 2:50PM, I obviously need to travel there but then have to see MW straight after it and I finish work at 5PM anyway so thinking there would be no point in returning to work. However, I with me leaving at around 2:30PM I wonder if they think I will be taking the mick a little......

Any ideas? x

If you have an understanding employer you should be fine.
It would seem ridiculous for you to return after the appointment considering travel/wait times.

My employer has been great and pretty much let me have off as much time as I need. I have ante-natal classes at the moment which run 3-5pm so I finish at 2pm and don't return (I should work until 6pm)

They also allow me to finish 1.5 hours early once a week for my antenatal yoga class as it's the only one in my area and the only time it runs.

Hopefully your employer will be just as supportive as it really is down to them. You are entitled to have the time off for sure, but they could say you have to return after the appointment. Although appointments are never on time and travel is unpredictable. I'm sure you'd have a good enough excuse not to go back! x

Ive never had an issue having time off for scans, MW apps or my physio appointments regarding my SPD xx

If you have an understanding employer you should be fine.
It would seem ridiculous for you to return after the appointment considering travel/wait times.

My employer has been great and pretty much let me have off as much time as I need. I have ante-natal classes at the moment which run 3-5pm so I finish at 2pm and don't return (I should work until 6pm)

They also allow me to finish 1.5 hours early once a week for my antenatal yoga class as it's the only one in my area and the only time it runs.

Hopefully your employer will be just as supportive as it really is down to them. You are entitled to have the time off for sure, but they could say you have to return after the appointment. Although appointments are never on time and travel is unpredictable. I'm sure you'd have a good enough excuse not to go back! x
No I remember with my last, I was waiting my scan was 45 mins late and I was bursting to pee..... I had waited that long they said my bladder was TOO full and I had to empty half of it. She is pretty understanding so hopefully I won't lose anything for taking the mick. I didn't work here then though and my last job was well over an hour away in travel x

Last edited:
My employers have been fine with everything - I've had to take Wed late afternoons off for the last few weeks with antenatal classes. I keep being apologetic about it, but my boss just tells me not to be silly - it's my right! ;)

My employer has to give me paid time for all dr appointments, midwife appointments scans etc in fact anything baby related

Employers wont take the chance with hospital visits that are pregnancy related. It would be too easy for them to end up in hot water over it.

https://www.gov.uk/working-when-pregnant-your-rights

I would just tell them you need to leave at 2:30 for the scans and won't be back. They must pay you and I bet they won't question it at all.

I have an app at 3:30 for the 12 week scan next week. But it's a bit far to travel so I've told work I will leave at 2:30 and won't be back that day (from previous experience they are always running an hour behind!) work have been fine with that.

Thanks. That's good then. I just don't want them thinking I'm taking the pee lol x

Is it right that they are using up my holiday pay for my appointments? I mean technically that's paid time off ? But it's using up holiday and they didn't even ask if that was ok with me! I just wanted it as my days off

Is it right that they are using up my holiday pay for my appointments? I mean technically that's paid time off ? But it's using up holiday and they didn't even ask if that was ok with me! I just wanted it as my days off

No that's absolutely not right. You are entitled to maternity care as per the law, they shouldn't be using your holiday leave. Check it out with your HR dept if you have one.

I agree with kitty - check with HR or your maternity policy. You are allowed reasonable time off for antenatal appointments, but I guess maybe it depends on whether you have been taking the whole day off for them? I doubt they would give you a full day off, paid, for one antenatal appointment. Xx

It's certainly not right unless you've been taking full days off! I would defo speak to them x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back