Own room for the first time

Emmerdale

Reaction score
We put Oliver in his own room for the first time last night as he is getting too big for his moses basket! I think I was more worried than he was. We put him to bed about 11.30pm and he slept until 6.50 this morning so longer than normal! Was so pleased with my little star! He then went back in his cot after his feed and slept until 10.30 - I think he might like his cot! I think he's happier having more room to kick about now. I mentioned this to the HV this morning when I took him to be weighed and she said we shouldn't be doing this as he should be with us until he's 6 months - have no choice as he's too big for basket and his cot/travel cot is too big for our room - we have a monitor so we can hear him - does anyone think this is wrong?

By the way he now weighs 14lb 8oz so is a big boy!!!
:shock:
Em
xx

I personally don't as we put LO in the moses basket in her cot in her own room from day 1. Again we use a baby monitor. Our room is too small to have even the moses basket in with us.

well done oliver. :clap:

Its so scary the first night, Ellis was 3 months and i cried hehe.

My HV was also a bitch and told me i shouldnt be moving him!!!

Well done for doing as u think and not letting the HV get the better of u :hug:

xxxx

Thanks girls - he was a star again last night - he slept 11.00pm until 8am! Couldn't believe it - he never would have slept for that long in his moses basket so have definitely done the right thing for him.

Em
xx

We put Leorah in her cot in her own room from 6 weeks as she is so noisy! She also sleeps for longer and seems quite happy. As long as you have a moniter or can hear them wake then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Leorah also doesn't go to bed until about 11pm. Does Oliver always go to bed at that time? She is quite unsettled in the evenings but I would love to bring her bedtime forward.

Hi Skatty,

We put Oliver to bed about 8.00 normally and DH gives him a dreamfeed about 10.30ish - he then goes to bed when we do which is about 11.00. It sometimes takes him a while to fall asleep at 8.00 though. Last night he wouldn't settle so ended up bringing him back downstairs and he eventually fell asleep on me about 9.00!! Think he was overtired but didn't know what to do! He went down at 11.00 no problem at all.

Have you tried to put Leorah down a bit earlier?

xx

Oh boy yes we've tried!!! She's having none of it! We can sometimes settle her on the settee or in her moses basket in the early evening but she just wont go to bed :roll: She suffers with a lot of wind in the evening and I think this is unsettling her, she will fall asleep and then wake crying, sometimes I have a cry too :lol:

Poor Leorah. Oliver suffered a lot with wind at the begininng and was often sick just before bedtime as the wind would build up all day and then to release it he had to get the milk out of the way!! We found Infacol really worked for us and luckily we haven't had the problem since. Must be so hard for you when she cries in pain - don't blame you for having a cry too sometimes :hug:

Is there anything you can give her for the wind? When she goes to bed at 11pm, how long she sleep for?

xx

We use infacol too and have just started using colocynth which is a homeopathic remedy. The infacol is good but I sometimes forget to give it which is a problem because I find it builds up and then if I start to miss any its back to square 1!

Once she goes to bed at 11pm she is usually really good sleeping for 4-5 hours then has a feed and goes back to sleep then for another 3 hours and then has a feed and then either goes back to bed or comes in with us. If she does have a nap or 2 in the evening its great but yesterday for example she was awake from 2pm until 11pm and was so cranky, I have mastitis and was feeling really rough and DH was working, its times like that I think I'm gonna go mad :lol:

OMG I am so happy! Leorah didn't seem to be suffering from wind tonight, the colocynth/infacol combo must have kicked in and she is in bed in her cot before 8.30pm!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy, I hope its not a fluke!
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

oh congrats skatty, I was just about to say Ellis suffered from horrible wind till he was 3 months and now he just brings it up himself.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel, also i tired loads of times before 3 months to stop infacol but he still had wind

xxx

That's great Skatty - hope it's the start of things to come. Well done Leorah :dance:

Oliver went down at 8.10 tonight and mumbled for about 10 minutes and haven't heard from him since!

Em
x

Thanks girls for the congrats but Leorah woke up an hour later screaming with wind pains :wall:

It feels like it will never end :(

Oh no - poor Leorah and poor you! At least you got an hour to yourself - hopefully it will start to get longer until she wakes up. It may just take a while for the medicines to kick in properly. Have you tried baby massage? There is one that you do on their tummies that can't help release wind - might be worth a try!?

Em

Thank you so much for your support girls :hug:

I am very pleased and proud to announce that Leorah was asleep in her bed at 7.30pm last night :cheer:

Although I dont want to follow her routine I logged on the baby whisperer website , did the quiz and realised I have a spirited baby that gets overstimultaed VERY easily! I picked up loads of tips from other Mums with spirited LOs and thought I'd have a real go at cracking the daytime naps and it worked she slept better all night! She didn't always sleep at nap time but laid in her pram in the conservatory (too distracting completely outside with all those interesting noises!)

This morning I read her cues of having enough and within 45 mins of getting up she had been fed, washed, dressed, played on her mat while watching a bit of GMTV and then started yawning so I got her in her snowsuit and sat in the garden with her for 5 mins and now she is in her pram with a blanket blocking the view. She's still awake staring at the blanket but so much better than the meltdown she would be having now if I hadn't of done this!

Please kep your fingers crossed for me I feel we may have turned a corner! I have had a shower, a coffee, sorted the washing out and washed up its only 9.15am!!

Hey Skatty, that is fantastic. You confused me a second when I first read your post, then I twigged your in denmark and there is an hours difference in time. I think that is the best way to be honest, try and follow a routine but set / modify it by what suits your LO and yourself. How were the night time feeds?

That's great Skatty - well done Leorah.
:clap:

The first few weeks with a new baby are hard as we're trying to get to know them and recognise what they need and when they need it - it takes a while for us to get to know our babies but we get there in the end. Sounds like you have sussed what Leorah needs so here's to a new sleep routine for you both.

Oliver has now settled into sleeping 11.15ish until about 8am so I am so pleased - moving him into his own room was the best thing we ever did!

Em

When Leorah is a couple weeks older she'll settle right down. Alfie was a monster, he was going down at five and waking up at half one half three half four and half five. when he hit nine weeks old i put the smallest bit of baby rice in his bottle and he sleeps from five till half six, by which time im already awake anyway. Oh and hun as for the HV saying your LO shud be with you in your room untill 6 months its rubbish, i put alfie in his own room at four weeks, it helped me sleep and he slept better in his own room, as long as youv got ur monitor to hell with wot your HV says you no wat works for u and your babu they have to follow guidelines, what makes a good HV is when they care more about you and give you real advice, not textbook advice, x

Hi

Glad she is sleeping better now, and thats crap that they should be left wiht you till 6 months Kiara stayed with me till then but thats cuz i was a suck :oops: but everyone is different . and sounds to me its for the better

Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back