Ovulation

Eveadel

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im new here.

I have recently decided that my husband and I are going to start trying for a baby. My cycle is 27 days exactly, when is it roughly you ovulate?

I am worried that it is going to take a long time to conceive if it does happen as we have not been using any contraception except for the withdrawal method for 8 years.

Many thanks

In a 28 day cycle ovulation usually happens about 14-16 days before your period starts so I'd imagine it won't be much different with a 27 day cycle.

You can tell when you're ovulating because your body produces a thicker discharge that the best description I've heard is that it's like an egg white consistancy.

I am one of the lucky people who haven't had problems conceiving, but I did have the same worries as you (I think all couples do) when we decided to "try".

The best advice given to me is to relax and let nature do her thing. I've known a few couples who have got hung up on cycle times and ovulation etc. and taken ages to conceive and yet for me and a good friend of mine, we took the attitude that we weren't "trying" but we weren't "preventing" either.

Relax and try not to pre-empt problems that you may not have!

Oh, and remember - enjoy the sex!

Thanks Becky.

Just another question how long does it take for the sperm to reach an egg. Is it best to start earlier then later?

I really do not want to get obsessed about it.

My husband is loving all the practice!! :lol:

Erm..... not too sure how far the little blighters have to swim, but I read somewhere that the window of time to concieve is a few days before & a few days after ovulation (I think the mechanics being that sperm can survive for a few days 'in situ', plus it takes the egg a few days to travel down your tubes!)

Happy trying

Thanks Louise,

So I should try before Ovulation, say mine is 14-16 days, try between 12 day and then again at 18?? :?

Sperm has a life cycle of a couple of days (I believe) so I'd imagine so long as you're having sex around the time of ovulation it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah - I guess if your cycle is 14-16 days than the best bet to cover all bases would be to try every few days from day 12.

ie. Day's 12, 14, 16 and 18

That should keep you & the hubby occupied for a week eh? :lol:

Hi,
I've read that you can increase your chance of sucessful conception (and reduce the risk of early miscarriage) if both the sperm and egg are 'fresh' when they meet! My DH and I have been trying to time it so that his sperm are lining my fallopian tubes immediately prior to ovulation (ie one day before). No joy so far, but then my cycles are quite irregular, so I'm still working out ovulation dates etc!

Hi Eveadel,

I'm usure about my ovulation also but have found a great website that works it all it for you! You just sign up free and add your details in. Its easy to use and simple to follow. The address is:

www.mymonthlycycles.com

It allows you to chart your ovulation and fertility and even emails you to remind you.

Good luck! x

Ah sorry, new to this chat room!

Anyway for anyone who comes across this post the website is great! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back