• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Over Tired......Updated!

hels

Reaction score
Im really stryggling to get Charlie to sleep! She is so tired, and i have recognised that, but she wont sleep! Last night was a nightmare. She is turning on her side and moving around her cot, she wont settle. I have been going in and laying her down again, then i go down stairs, i let her have a cry for 5 mins then go lay her down again....and so on! It took an hour last night! OH kept saying 'i dont know why you dont just go get her up and bring her down stairs to comfort her, im not mean am i? I think it would be a nightmare to have her fall asleep downstairs. Im sure its just a stage.......ive been so lucky so far, she has slept fantastically! During the day ive always let her sleep on the sofa, do you all go put your baby in their cot for day time sleeps? She is even struggling to get off to sleep now during the day, she just fights it so much....any ideas?

UPDATED:
I had a hellish night last night, Charlie was ready for bed by 7 , yawning, rubbing her eyes, etc, so i went to put her in her cot, so screamed blue murder! any way, she slept for about 10 minutes, she was then crawling around her cot, still really tired, i laid on my bed and evrytime she went on to her tum, i went and put her on her back and shhhh shhhed her and stroked her leg. as soon as she nodded off, she bounced back up. We continued this for and hour and a half (she WASNT CRYING as such, just doing a mono tone moan she does when tired) i was worried, so took her downstairs (which i didnt want to do) and did all the usual checks Temp, nappy, milk etc. Once she was down stairs she cried and cried, wouldnt let me hold her in any position, she nipped me or scrathched me to fight me off her. i put her on the sofa, but she didnt like that either, she was still showing all signs of tiredness. so after another hour of this i took her back upstairs and put her in a sleeping bag (she doesnt always use one) put her in the cot and sat on the floor and srtoked her leg through the bars, she kept flipping over on to her tummy again, but after half an hour she finally bobbed off about 10ish. She slept soundly until 9am.
Toay she has fought sleeps at 11 and 4 like she usually has. It has been awful to get her to sleep again.
I have noticed that she looks like her top 2 teeth maybe coming through. I feel bad now. But surely her teeth cant only bother her at sleep times??? Wouldnt she wake up throught the night with them?? she sleeps for atleast 11 hours as soon as she has gone to sleep.
since last week's nightmare, she has slept well and gone down no probs til last night and today.
Im dreading tonight. Im on my own cos DH is working away. It makes me feel useless, and i feel sad she fights me off her. I dont know what else to try, i hate to se her in this state. I try to stay cool she she doesnt pick up on it, but i just want to cry. Not at her, but because im so shit.
Im going on honeymoon on Sunday, i cant believe i will be leaving her with my mum, what a selfish cow iam. I dont even want to go :cry:
OMG im sorry..just noticed ive waffled on for AGES..Il edit it. sorry.
If you read it all...thanks!!!

Aww hun, your not mean at all
Jack can be just the same, and i can be up and down the stairsfor an hour
If you bring her downstairs you would be defaeting the object and she would expect it all the time
Carry on as you are doing and she should settle

as far as i can see you are doing everything right
:hug:

I dont know if this will be any help as my Charlotte is younger, but

I was having problems with her sleeping in a day a while ago and she was constantly overtired. It was a nightmare as she got progressively worse in the day and then bedtime was a major trauma.

I found out from other websites that a lot of babies are tired after they have been up for about 1.5 to 2 hours. I then watched Charlotte a lot more closely and much earlier than I was doing for tired signs and found if I caught her much earlier she would go to sleep for a nap in the day several times and then nighttimes got better. It has taken a while and she would only nap for 20-30 mins a time to start off, but she has got the hang of it and doesnt even fuss whe she goes for her naps now and nighttimes are much easier and more settled.

See I'm the opposite, if Damien won't settle, I won't force him into his cot by himself. He just gets in a state and I can't bear it. He comes down with me, for a hug while I watch telly, then will normally fall asleep on me so I can put him back up to bed shortly after. I don't mind doing this, I'll happily cuddle him to sleep till he is 6 or whatever, not fussed at all. Of course I am not saying this is wrong to let them cry to sleep, it's just not for me going up and down the stairs for an hour when there's no need. He doesn't expect it all the time, and will sometimes settle by himself if he is tired. If he gets out of bed 20 times when he's 4 I'll put him back on his own.

Damien is/was having a bit of trouble sleeping through and I discovered he was cutting teeth. She might just want a cuddle from her mummy to sooth her? He was being a pain to settle during the day for a while too, his lunch time nap just wasn't working. He would be tired but just couldn't settle down. I tend to just leave him another 10-15minutes before trying to hug him again to sleep.

Dunno if that helps at all but that's how I do things :lol:
And no, you're not mean if you want to do the cry it out routine, it does work for some :)

Oh god i feel like a right cow now!!!

I just wanna point out that i don't let Jack get in a state, he doesn't cry himself to sleep.

He is just a bugger for standing himself up and chucking his dummy and shouting lol

sometimes he just needs to be tucked back in and know that i am still here

jo said:

YER YOU SHOULD!! haha :rotfl:

No i agree with both Jo and Sami... Ellis is a bugger at settlin himself, which i thought was fine for his age, but i told the mothers at the post natal and they all said "OH REALLY, OUR BABIES GO TO SLEEP ON THERE OWNS!!" :twisted: haha

But i understand it must be harder when they are older cos they can scream loader and get angry!! xxxx

i think the best thing to do is stick with only the cot for sleep times, its what iv always done and its worked great apart from when i go round my mums for the day or into town they wont sleep untill they are in there cot.

i think its good for them to sleep independantly. my 5yr old brother still sits with mum and dad at 11pm or falls asleep on sofa and every one tip toes. and then hes in there bed with them.

just stick with it hun it will pass. i dont think your nasty lol

Im pretty sure its just a phase, as i said she always manages to settle herself, i have been recognising the tired signs and soon as see them she is off to bed.
I put the post one so i could see other peoples views, and i appriciate them. Even if Charlie is down stairs with me Sami, she is still overtired and fights me off if i try and cuddle her....which is another classic over tired sign.
It has been worse over the week end as DH is home and SS was with us, so weve been in the car alot, and her regular routine has gone out of the window....
I wouldnt leave her screaming, but i do let her have a little cry, when i go up i shhhh shhhh her and stroke her cheek.
I guess your all wondering why i posted this....well i just like to see if anyone does anything different.

jo said:

I just wanna point out that i don't let Jack get in a state, he doesn't cry himself to sleep.

He is just a bugger for standing himself up and chucking his dummy and shouting lol

I didn't mean you were a cow at all hun :oops: Just that Damien gets in a state. Didn't say you let Jack get in a state :oops:

hels said:
Even if Charlie is down stairs with me Sami, she is still overtired and fights me off if i try and cuddle her....which is another classic over tired sign. .
Damien does the same sometimes, I've found a way for hi to sit on me though and be comfortable enough to fall asleep if he can, but not cuddled u tight if you knwo what I mean?

They all have different personalities and need different things. Damien's is being stuck with me most of the day, I'm a stay at home mum for that very reason so to me it's never bothered me. But some need their own space.

Sami said:
jo said:

I didn't mean you were a cow at all hun :oops: Just that Damien gets in a state. Didn't say you let Jack get in a state :oops:

Awww, i know you weren't getting at me :oops: , i re read my post and it sounded wrong
Sorry Sami :hug:

Hi ya :wave:

What I've been trying recently at nighttime is to stay in Olivia's room putting clothes away/tidying things for about 10 mins after I've put her in her cot to sleep. To start with she was crying as soon as my foot got to the sofa but now she seems to go to sleep on her own after I've left the room. I thought by getting Olivia to be able to settle herself when she went to bed would help her get a good nights sleep but unfortunately she's still up 3 or 4 times :wall:

Lucy x

Woohohoohoh, tonight she has settled sooooo well!!! Charlie is always fine once she is in bed, so i think it was just a phase, and she was probably overstimulated and over tired. OR maybe i was lucky tonight LOL

Hi

Depending on the day usually Kiara sleeps in the living room during the day and cot at night .
Katrina

Finally got her to sleep it took 2 hours from when she first showed signs of tiredness.
I feel so bloody useless. :cry:

hels said:
Finally got her to sleep it took 2 hours from when she first showed signs of tiredness.
I feel so bloody useless. :cry:

Ahh hun dont feel useless :hug: :hug:

I AM usless!!!! I love being a mummy, but sometimes i feel so crap at it lol! I love her 100% as long as i do my best??!!

hels said:
I AM usless!!!! I love being a mummy, but sometimes i feel so crap at it lol! I love her 100% as long as i do my best??!!

Yeh but EVERY mum/dad will feel usless at some point in the life with there chile, well propably in many points, BUT the point is its just a feeling its not actually what you are. You are doing the best you can, and being the best mum you can so you are not usless and you have to stop telling yourslef that as you will just upset yourself more!!

big Hugs :hug:

Oh Hels you're not useless!

Remember babies change too, so what works one day might not work the next, it's not your fault!

Hopefully she will start to get the cues from you and get to sleep easier with practice!

You know where I am if you need me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back