Oooh so happy.. and comfort sucking advice needed

Redshoes

Reaction score
Had MW and HV at clinic today and they insisted on weighing Ophelia which I wasn't over joyed about as I didn't want any pressure as to her feeding or my supply etc etc if she'd not put on some weight, anyways, she's back to her birth weight so I'm really happy that she's obviously getting enough from me, and with very little fuss :D

I wanted to ask about comfort sucking because I do believe she is doing this sometimes as she's sometimes only on the boob for about a minute after finishing a good feed, and then is asleep, but if I move her she starts with the head butting like she's hungry again, but I was confused as to if she'd do that not actually being hungry, and maybe she just wants little sips :think: lol I always put her straight to boob so she can tell me what she wants but didn't think comfort sucking would start this soon/young? Isaac never did it, he wanted cuddles/holding, so it's all new to me. Any advice appreciated :hug:

I wouldn't say Luke comfort sucked in the first couple of weeks but after that he did. She could be but to be honest, with her being early and perhaps hungry, I'd just let her suck til she comes off on her own accord xxx

Tally seems to have comfort sucked from the day she was born!! (or at least it feels like it) A lot of the time she has a long feed and then will top it up with much shorter feeds for hours until she has another sleep.

She comfort sucks for bed time and usually to sleep unless rocked in the carseat or pram.

I've tried dummies, she wont take them, but she's recently really found her hands and is constantly sucking on them (sticky little hands have started for me already)

If you've got time to sit and feed then i found just let her suck as much as she wants, i was worried Tally was getting too much food and going to become a heffer baby but she's levelled out and is now following the percentile she was born on.

April has always sucked for comfort. Basically, as long as you have time and you don't mind, there is no harm in it and it is good for stimulating your supply. I can appreciate it may be more difficult to indulge your little one when you have another child to take care of too.

Suckling is a normal comforting reflex for a baby and a dummy could be useful if you don't have time, although my DD won't take one at all.

Maia comfort sucked a lot and cried when I took her off, it was really hard cause she wouldnt settle unless on the boob and even when I tried to put her down asleep she woudl wake and cry.

The midwives in hospital showed me all sorts of techniques some which worked and some which didnt. In the end after 3 nights of 3 hours sleep I gave in and gave her a dummy. This seemed to do the trick. Then she got nipple confusion so I switched her dummy to one shaped like a nipple theyre made by a company called NUK and you can buy them online or from Superdrug. Would definitely recommend these if you are going to give a dummy as well as breastfeed.

All my babies have comfort sucked...and i let them...But some mums may say that they are actually slow feeders. However by 5 months this seems to stop so either put up with it or..have a fussing baby...I am one for an easy life !!

That sounded harsh sorry...i did use a dummy which they wouldn't take at all to begin with. And LuLi has flatly refused....so she comfort sucks until she bites or tugs then i don't play along...she has got the message.

My LO has comfort sucked from the start - after my first night in hospital I was nearly in tears due to sore boobies (at one point I just gave her my finger to suck on as I couldn't take it any more - not the most hygenic solution...) so begged DH to bring 'the emergency dummy' in. Had no issues with nipple confusion (not sure if I was just lucky or had a good dummy - I didn't and don't really know the difference between the different types so can't help there sorry). Sounds like Ophelia is definitely comfort sucking though - I'd say give the dummy a go but if you then start to have feeding problems ditch it immediately.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but comfort sucking doesn't necessarily end when you want it to.

alex is 13 months nearly, and comfort sucks allllllll night every night. :wall: I can't get him to stop :wall:

Thankyou so much for the replies ladies :hug:
I am putting Ophelia on the boob on demand and I don't mind her sucking for comfort, it makes perfect sense, I just obviously would like her to settle without my nipple too. I've not bought a dummy for her yet as I am still torn with the idea :? Sometimes I would love to have it as an option on an evening when she does seem to be doing the comfort sucking, but at the same time I don't want her dependant on one either.. Isaac wouldn't take a dummy until being 5months, but he was bottle and breast fed from being days old and he never had nipple confusion but that's another thing that worries me about introducing a dummy, why am I even considering it haha Think I'll give things a few more weeks, see how it goes, she may settle down :)

Lovely to see you on the forum again Natural mamma, I do hope you and your family are well :hug: And Xena, please have lots of these :hug: :hug: :hug: what on earth are you going to be like when Alex has stopped BF'ing, you'll be lost :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back