One more q! Sorry..expressing milk to go out!

Reena

Reaction score
Sorry for so many questions but I dunno whether to express when I need to go out, for example it was my Mum's birthday yesterday and we wanted to go out to eat but I was worried about expressing, when to do it (after a feed, or between), and whether to express from both breasts, last time I expressed I got mastitis, so Im worried, baby is nearly 4 weeks, so is this an ok time to express once in a while? and how much do I actually need for one feed? :oops:

Good qu! Can't help but look forward to replies as I am off out on Wed all afternoon & don't feel confident enough to bf in the restaurant :oops: so was thinking of expressing too..... :)

I usually just breastfeed when I'm out, but I have been expressing so that OH can feed him occasionally. (My HV said it was usually okay to express after 2-3 weeks of breastfeeding).

I find the best time to express is in the morning just after he's finished feeding. If I can't get much out I wait half hour and try again. I usually start on the opposite breast to the one he's just finished with, then do the other one, then try the first one again. I can usually get between 2-4 oz.

It's hard to know how much you'll need, sometimes Austin struggles with 2oz, other times he guzzles down 5oz without breaking a sweat! If I was going out I'd probably try to have two 3oz bottles so that he could have as much or as little as he needs without wasting 6oz by having to warm it all up.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Ok the best thing for you to do is express in the morning while little one is feeding on the other side, your more likely to get a let down.

The first time you do it, it wont be much but the next day it should be easier, the first time I did it, it took at least a week before I could get 2 oz's off

To b honest your bubba proberly doesnt have much during a feed anyway but I would say 3 oz's to be on the safe side.

Everyday you pump put your milk into a breastmilk storage bag in the fridge, before mixing each expressed milk in one bag put it in the fridge sepratly first , to build up a supply. Then if you want, freeze it.

Tho I found I wasnt able to pump much until she was about 2 months old :)

Is there anyway you can just breastfeed your little one instead of pumping if your worried about mastis? I know its scary and you feel nervous about it but when youve done it a few times lol you really couldnt care less :lol:

Its much easier and saves the stress of pumping, I go out for lunch, goto town and feed her where ever I am, I hated the thought in the begining, but its really not that bad.

I use a shawl when im out in a resturant to cover us and noone is none the wiser :D

Also for every feed you miss because of giving EBM for that one time you go out, the next day you wont have much milk there for bubba when you breastfeed the next day at that time you gave bubba the EBM and will make it quite hard as firstly your milk is not established until 6 weeks which is why its a must the your bubba is constantly put to the breast when ever your bubba needs it, if you express alot before the 6 weeks it will make your job 10x's harder, unless of course you set asside a time in the day where bubba has that expressed milk everyday.

Its something you really cant take lightly as you havnt got an established breastfeeding relationship yet.

I just spoke to my friend who is a mw and she also said to bf rather than express just yet. She suggests using a pashmina wrapped from shoulder to opposite hip like a sling to hide my modesty! Think I'll give that a practise & request a table in the corner on Wednesday :oops:

I would just breastfeed, its so much easier and no one sees your boob, don't worry! Just wear a baggy top and pop baby's head under it with a muslin draped over to hide anything else.

No one will even notice don't worry :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back