Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

titch

Reaction score
I was just having a mini panic about my weight (again) when I got weighed at my first scan (4 weeks ago) and its in my notes that I was 76kg. That made my BMI 31 cos Im a shortie! So I was totally gutted cos I lost loads of weight in 2009 and thought I weighed less than that but I hadnt weighed myself for a couple of months so I just accepted it. I was really worried and upset at the time cos normally when my weight creeps up I go on a low carb diet but being pregnant I couldnt do that and felt totally disempowered.

Well since then Ive had a glucose tollerance test which showed my blood sugar levels were perfect and I was processing sugars really well, not even boarderline diabetes. And my blood pressure has always been bang on perfect so I calmed myself down and got on with enjoying my pregnancy.

Today I had another wobble cos I heard that if youre obese you cant use a birthing pool and I really want to use one. I started researching weight gain in pregnancy to see how much I should have gained by now and decided to weigh myself. The last thing I need is to be gaining too much weight now and end up not being able to have midwifery led care.

So I took my jeans off (obviously) and got on the scales. I braced myself cos we've had a sunday lunch and Ive been consitpated this week (sorry TMI but it affects weigh ins!!) and was totally shocked cos my weight is....

74kg. WTF?!? Ive lost 2 kilos.

Im definately bigger, Ive got a right belly on my now. And i havent been dieting, in fact since my glucose tollerance test Ive made sure we eat fruit n veg but also eating choc and crisps whatever!

so Ive either lost weight without even trying. Or my scales at home are wrong, or they looked at the scales wrong on the day they weighed me. Either way my BMI has dropped to 30 :dance:

Tiny, Home scales tend to be different cause the ones the midwife uses will be calibrated exactly so that you should be able to be weighed anywhere within the NHS and get the same weight. Maybe explains some of the loss, I've known people to vary half a stone before and after calibrating hospital scales!! Hope it sheds some light!

I think Im better friends with my home scales then!! Im being weighed on wednesday with my midwife so we'll see what her scales say. Half a stone, gosh can you imagine being weighed at GPs and being told you're half a stone more than you thought! How miserable, suppose it could happen the other way which would be a nice surprise.

Im guessing I cant have gained that much weight so far if Im weighing myseld at home 2kg less than I weighed in a month ago.

Does anyone know how much weight a woman 'should' have gained by 16 weeks? I know there's normal variation but there must be a certain amount which is considered too much/little.

we just put OH's dumbell weights on the scales and exactly the same, was only 6.5kg, should you test the scales with more?

I remember a consultant freaking out a bit when one patient had lost half a stone in a week, then realised they all had and it was in fact the calibration :) phew!! Sounds like yours are spot on though. Have you had morning sickness? Some of the other girls were saying they had lost a bit, and I suppose you gain baby weight but might lose some of your own body weight? I've only put on about 4 lbs so far but my BMI was the same, 31. Not sure if there is an average weight gain, sure someone else will shed some light.

Theres 6lb difference between my scales and the ones at weight watchers ..i cringe whenever i get on the ww ones lol xx

I wouldn't be concerned at all hun, baby will get what it needs hun even if you lose weight :)

I lost 1kg in the first three months with Rosie - they put it down to nausea/mornign sickness. I soon made up for it though, weighing in at 5 stones heavier by the time I was full term..:rotfl:

my BMI has gone up from 20 (pre pregnancy) to 22 now and i am 4 months pregnant now? think thats about ok according to my midwife. not sure on my weight before im only sure on these bmi's atm xx

Hope those BMIs are nothing to worry about at all. In fact 22 is bang in the middle of 'healthy' so you've made a lovely home for your little one for the next 5-6 months!

Im calmer today about losing the weight, its not a massive weight loss and I needed to lose weight anyway, if I were to lose a little more I might fall out of the 'obese' category :yay: doubt that will happen though with the rate the little one will be growing from now on, but if i can limit my weight gain in pregnancy I should come out of it healthier than when I went it.

I feel quite chuffed now :)

Its trueeee! I got weighed at the hopsital this morning before my Downs screening test and I have lost 2 kg. They wont alter my BMI though, the one taken at my first assessment stands and that shall officially be my BMI until the baby is born. I had a whole lecture about how I shouldnt gain any more weight that they will reassess whether I need consultant led care blah blah...so I exercise more, eat healthy and lost weight, and it doesnt count.....WHATS THE POINT?!?!!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back