Oliver's breath holding.. UPDATE - hospital referral

I work in a nursery. and the age group i work with is between 18months and 2. This holding breath thing is quiet common. Ive actually got a little boy in my care that does it regularly now. He usually does it when he gets so wound up that he simply forgets to breath then almost panics coz he cant remember how to breath! Its like he holds his breath in pure frustration. From my knowledge it is a phase and does stop as they get older, i think its a case of just waiting it out.

I hate it when people stare its so annoying :x like their child has never done anything before :roll:

thanks everyone.

well the dr did a full chck over him, nd he's referring him to the children's department atthe hospital. he said it sounds like its just normal breath holding attacks, but the sudden increase in frequency needs to be checked out.

i feel so much better :hug:

*Star* said:
thanks everyone.

well the dr did a full chck over him, nd he's referring him to the children's department atthe hospital. he said it sounds like its just normal breath holding attacks, but the sudden increase in frequency needs to be checked out.

i feel so much better :hug:

Phew! did they mention the aneamia (not sure how to spell that sorry) thing? I suppose they will check for that at the childrens department. So glad you are alright :hug:

thanks lou - it really feels like a weight has been lifted. we had to wait ages and amelia was an angel :)

no he didnt mention anaemia. he listened to his heart, checked his tummy etc andhe was happy with that.

have to ring up in a few mins to get his appointment. they dont send them out anymore.

wonder how long the wait is :think:

I shouldn't think you'll wait long, they usually see kids pretty quick.

Thats link was really interesting wasn't it, I saw it and straight away I was like. thats it, its nothing to worry about :) I was willing you to come back online and read it before you went to the doctors :lol:

Hope you get an appointment soon :)

I hope the waits not long!!

Glad the Dr saw him and is doing something about it! :)

So scarey for everyone!! :hug:

yep the link was great. thing is, he does do it when he hurts himself, i remember he pulled a scab off his knee from kneeling on a sticklebrick, and he did it then, and actually, that was one of his worst breath holding attacks. took him a good 5 mins to come round and be himself again.

hey hun, hope your all doing ok, doesnt usually talk long when its a child being referred but i guess it varies from place to place! Im pretty sure if you push they will get you in soon :hug:

well i got booked in for 12th march, but they rang back the day later and they triaged the cases, and they want him seen sooner. So I'm taking him in for this Wednesday.

That's 6 days from Dr appointment to hospital appointment! That's pretty damn quick in my eyes!

Thats really good going hun! Glad they have not kept you waiting!
Make sure you update us with some news after... ill be thinking of you :hug:

thats great news. makes sure you try and catch him doing it on your phone if he does it between now and then so they can see what hes like at the appointment! Hope they resolve it for you and him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back