Obtaining hospital notes from baby birth

kellysomer

Reaction score
Has anyone done this and how did you go about it. I have decided that as part of my process of getting back to the old me i am going to get my notes to read, i still dont undertsand all that happened and need to know some things, i have had the MW to my house to read my notes but she went through them too quickly and missed out bits to suit them (the bits that went wrong) i was too upset at the time to take it all in, i want to be able to read them in my own time. I also want the notes from my daughters birth but the birth centre doesnt exist now and i have no idea how to go about getting them.

Can anyone help or have any advice?

ive not really got much advice hun, maybe u cud ring the hospital direct or maybe speak to ur gp?
i got my hospital notes from abigails birth when i left the hospital.....maybe diffrent hospitals vary on the information they give, however u shud be able to access this info. i hope u get it sorted xx

My hospital offer what is called a "de-brief" where a consultant will sit down with you and go through your notes and explain why/how/what happened. I had this 2 years after having DD so it's something that you can have anytime really. I waited because at first I was so busy looking after DD it didn't cross my mind but when I wanted to TTC I wanted to understand why I had a section to help me know what the chances were of needing another etc.

I would ask your GP about it and see if they can refer you for an appointment.

Last edited:
Try contacting PALS at your hospital - if they can't get your notes for you they should at least be able to tell you how to go about it. Hope that helps x

It can be done, I'm sure of it. Around here you have to pay to look at your own notes which sounds really unfair.

Thanks guys i've had the de-brief but it was just after he was born and i was so upset i wasnt concentrating, i really want to read them on my own in my own time and deal with the emotions that they will bring.

Would be interested in hearing replies to this - I was offered the debrief after my traumatic birth experience, but really wasn't ready to go through it again (was doing that far too much in my head anyway!). Thinking about TTC in about a year and I think it would help me to go through things so the same f**k ups don't happen again.

My HV told me how to do it, I have the info somewhere but in all this mess that is my house I'm not sure where I put it! You have to ask the hospital directly but you need to be specific how you do it. It might be worth asking your health visitor as they know where to find the info. Alternatively speak to PALS, their contact details will be on the hospital website. I'll have a look for the info cos you've reminded me I need to get on with getting access to mine! If I find it I'll let you know!! :hug:

I've done it with both of mine. On each occasion I wen on the internet and got the email addres of the health records department, sent them an email with my details and address and they send out a form for you to fill out - costs about £25.

PM me if you want hun

I had a leaflet somewhere that told you how to do it but have no idea where it is :wall: lol
Though its ok as MM can help you! :D

I would contact the Supervisor of Midwives in my area (not sure if this is just Scotland).

Valentine Xxx

It's the Health Records Dept or the Health AND Records Dept - can't remember - but basically if you search online for your hospital and that term youwill get an email address or a postal address and request your maternity and labour notes.

As it's an FOI request (freedom of information) they are legally obliged to work to a specific timeframe once you fill in the official forms to request them (something like they have to get them out to you within 30 days)

i photo copied all mine before they were taken :D

I have just had my notes delivered on Saturday. It only took 2 weeks from me requesting them. It cost me £19 (£10 admin fee and £9 for photo-copying) I just sent a letter adressed to the Head of Midwifery requesting my notes. They sent me a release form to sign and send back. It was very easy and very quick :D

Im glad this thread is on here.

I really want to obtain mine before my consultant appointment in approx 9 weeks.

Chelle did you send them to the hospital head of midwifery?

Hey all. I emailed PALS the other day to find out how I get my labour notes - I had a similar labour to kellysomer and I too think it'd help me to read them.
I was told to write to the Medical Records Manager at the hospital you gave birth at you can just address the envelope to that - you don't have to know the name of that person. Then they will send you a form to fill in and then it goes from there but it shouldn't take too long.

xx

jo jo said:
Im glad this thread is on here.

I really want to obtain mine before my consultant appointment in approx 9 weeks.

Chelle did you send them to the hospital head of midwifery?

Yeah. I just got the address of the hospital off Yell.com and addressed it to the Head of Midwifery. I guessed if this was not the right person then it would get passed on. There were no problems and they were very quick in getting back to me :D

The notes are a wonderful keepsake, and I actually understood it all which I wasn't sure if I would or not. Thought it might have all been in hospital shorthand but it wasn't. I'm glad I have them :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back