Nursing bras for big busted women - nightmare!!

Beatlesfan

Reaction score
I have had trouble with buying bras right through pregnancy - pretty much from the start of being pregnant when my 32FF boobs grew, and seemed to have kept growing. I wore my usual bras until they dug right in (around 4 months) and then purchased two soft cups 34H cups. But they were crap - no support - may as well not have been wearing them. So at 6 months I went up to bravissimo where they said I could wear underwired and bought 2 - a 34HH and 34J - the HH is more comfy. As I am quite short and carrying high I found the wire dug in when I sat down. I just basically wore the HH one to death only wearing the J cup when HH was in wash - sometimes at weekends I would just go bra free. Not ideal I know but soooo comfortable.
Anyway, now I am thinking about nursing bras to take into hospital and I just can't get my head round it. I went to Leia in Bluewater where they do nursing bras up to a K cup. I explained my predicament to the asst. who said I shouldn't be wearing underwires.... :think: :? and then said to me what back are you...a 30?? I was shocked at that. I kept thinking if she thinks I am a 30 then that means I'll have to go up a few cup sizes.... I am past caring about sizes and proportion, but bloody hell that could mean a 30K !!!!!

My 32FF bras used to fit ok, I did wonder if I might be a smaller back at one stage but at £25-30 for a decent bra, and the onset of trying for a baby I thought it wasn't worth pursuing/investigating.

She then said I won't know how big my boobs will get when my milk comes in so probably best to get measured after I have the baby...

So what do I do in hospital and for first few days/firstweek? I only have those two soft cup bras which are nursing bras which drop down and I just know they will be too small. She also said I need to allow for breast pads, and some women need up to 3 in each cup!!

I said to my partner - why don;t they have a mobile bra fitter in maternity wards to provide a good service when you most need it.

I just don't want to buy 2-3 bras in different sizes which may be no good for when my milk comes in - what do other big busted women do??????

I am wondering about whether to take in all the bras I have and just make do with those, using breast pads as I need them. Or just sellotaping the pads to my boobs and going bra less!!

Also, a bit of a rant but the shop asst at the bra shop said they do "normal" bras up to an L cup (with 30 back) but nursing bras only up to a K - so what if you started out as a 30L and then got bigger boobs being pregnant..... seriously would consider boob reduction after family is complete - my sister has already (no kids, but no plans to) went from 34HH to 34DD. She is well happy and can buy normal bras and clothes now - bras at a fraction fo price, although op cost her 4K.

Any advice ladies???

BF x

I can totally sympathise hun, Im big busted (normally a GG) and went huge after having Jake. When my boobs became engorged I ended up wearing my tankini tops for 2 days! I was measured at bravissimo 2 weeks before my duedate and was measured as a K cup :shock: The assistant told me to get just one bra for the time being and if it fitted ok to send somebody to buy another one or come back to get measured if it didnt fit.

I ended up with a ROYCE NURSING BRA and it was brilliant, so comfy.

Hope you find something that works for you :hug: :hug:

I just bought a 2 pk from M&S but think they may end up being on the small side! I greatly begrudge paying SO much for a bra that is non wired that I will hate anyway!!

Thanks Girls

Nice to know I am not alone.

Maybe I will take a visit to Leia again soon, and hope I get a more approachable asst. She certainly gave me the impression that she knew more about my boobs than I did!!! :shock: being hormonal does not help :x

I might try a whole range of sizes, see what it best. I also find my boobs swell towards end of day.... maybe body heat?

I have thought about tankinis but I can't seem to find any that fit. I am still failry small round the back, so I find even trying on sizes 16+ are no good. They are still tight on bust and loose round back. Seam doesn't sit right. There is def. a niche in the market for decent maternity underwear...well general clothes really. I have struggled to find anythign that looks nice and is comfy.

BF x

nursing bras are just normal bras with easy access.. so.. imo im just gonna wip my bra up and feed.. im also a G at the moment.. and went from a dd to a g after haivng my daughter.. so im just praying that i dont go bigger after this one.. as im going to need a tent lol nursing bras are expensive.. and personally i would rather wait and get one thats going to get its use... even though granny bras are ugly.. they usually are pretty comfy.. ive been wearing an underwired bra recently.. and its starting to bug me.. so im gonna grab a few granny bras i think.. mmm attractive..:D

The woman in m&s told me you need two cup sizes bigger for nursing bras as a general rule- ndon' know if that is any help? :hug:

Aaaaaaaah the joys. I only recently discovered I'd been in cloud cuckoo land with my bra sizes......after thinking I was a 40 K it turns out I'm a 34 J. Serious back size problem there!

Anyway I also went to bravissimo, and they sorted me out. Last pregnancy I ordered online.....I was wearing a 40 L, but if my latest fitting is anything to go by then that was completely the wrong size!

The woman said to me best to go back about a month before baby is due and get one fitted then. As someone mentioned the Royce ones are the best....they're also pretty stretchy with the cups and will allow for when your milk comes in (and believe me.....you'll be staring at them in misbelief!!) They only engorge for a day or so so at leas you'll have a bra then.....afterwards you can go and get fitted for another one incase they have gone up a size.

Big breasts are an absolute nightmare when you're pregnant!

I agree with that! If in doubt go to the hospital. That's what they're there for!!

I got fitted last week at leia in bluewater - turns out I needed a 34L although it is still a little "snug" in the cup but the cup size is maximum.

The assistant still reckoned I would fit a 32M better but it was clear that the 32 back was soooo tight. At least with the 34 back I can tighten it if I lose weight round my back after giving birth.

hey ho, when my milk comes in I shall just either not wear a bra or hope the L cups hold them in!!

It is a non-wired bra by Royce (see link to Bravissimo's site) http://www.bravissimo.com/products/ling ... lour=Black

I ordered another from here as Leia only had one bra in stock.

I must admit most days I don't get dressed (if no need to go out etc) so stay in dressing gown, but when I do go out it is a comfy bra to wear and definately hoiks up my boobs! :rotfl:

Would recommend it to all you ladies with big boobs!

BF xx

I need to get mine this weekend. I was just going to go to Mothercare, but looking at some of those, I might shop around.

Won't have trouble with the size, cos I think I'm pretty standard. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back