Nuchal translucency measurments

Emmajayne1981

Reaction score
Hi All, i'm 35 years old and currently 13wks 4days. I've been told my nuchal translucency was measuring at 5.8mm and going slightly down the baby back, this was on the nifty test last night and just waiting for my bloods to come back in 10 working days. I also had my dating scan last Thursday and was told the nuchal translucency measured at 6mm and going down baby back, my bloods came back today from the gwent saying I have a 1 in 5 risk of down syndrome. I was wondering if anyone else has been through this.

I currently have 2 children and recently had 3 miscarriages 2x 2012 and last one in October 2015. Any advice would be appreciated x
Thanks x

Hi i dont jave any experience in this but have you considered the harmony test? Its alot of money but i know many other ladies was told they have a high chance of having a baby with downs but when they had the harmony test the results was alot alot less. Sorry gor ur losses i mc beofre this pregnancy. X

Hi, I haven't seen the Harmony test but will look into it thanks. Had to pay for the NIFTY Test which was a lot but hoping results will come back ok and thanks x

I think the NIFTY and Harmony tests are more or less the same thing, just different brand names.

With DS I had something like a 1:8 chance of downs based only on NT measurement. We got the harmony test right away so didnt bother doing the normal blood test (so didnt get our propper risk number). The harmony test came back negative and we also found out we were having a boy :).

A negative result is VERY unlikely to be wrong. They occasionally give false positives so if you get a positive result an amnio is much more accurate to confirm.

Try to remember that a 1:5 chance is scary but it is still an 80% all is fine.

Last edited:
Harmony and Nifty are the same really. I had the harmony done, got my results in 6 days so hopefully you'll get yours a bit sooner than the 10 days xx

Hi there, my situation is a little similar, I'm 38, got 2 kids and am also based at the Gwent funnily enough. Have they recommended an amnio at all? I'm having an amnio at the Gwent this afternoon after my combined test showed a high risk for Downs. I did consider the Harmony test but my chance of a chromosomal disorder is higher than the chance of miscarriage, and I'd rather know without any uncertainty what I'm dealing with, if anything.

You know, even with a 1:5 risk, there's an 80% chance that everything will be OK. I'll let you know how I get on x

HI Inky, 1st off good luck for today. I have been offered the CVS and Amnio but because of the risk of miscarriage I can't chance it after my last miscarriage in October last year! I would be a reck for 3 weeks waiting to see if I was safe. Thank you for the advice it is comforting to know other people are going through the same as me. Xx

Last edited:
Hi BunnyN, I'm trying to keep positive and everyone is helping me as it's nice to hear from everyone who's in the same position. It's a hard position to be in and I feel sorry for my husband as he wants to get excited but to scared to as the midwives as trying to scare us with other syndromes which I don't think is very nice of them specially when I haven't seen a consultant and have a face to face talk... all i've had was everything over the phone!

Last edited:
I hope your results come back soon for you and it's good news xx

I felt the same about the amnio, I couldnt accept the risk. Thats why we did the harmony test. Hope you get your results quickly.

Hi All, received my results today from the nifty test and they came back as a low risk. Really happy with the results, but even if they did come back as a high risk we still decide to go ahead with the pregnancy as this ltitle baby would be loved regardless... also been told i'm having a girl x

Great news! Congrats :pink:

That's brilliant, I'm so pleased for you :) xx

Thanks everyone feel so much better this morning x
Inky so happy you got the results you wanted as well luv been a hard few days - weeks... xx :) but we can relax and enjoy x

Awww congrats thats wonderful news xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back