I want a 12 week scan

sally105

Reaction score
Im 8 weeks pregnant and just before xmas, i was getting severe abdominal cramps. I was sent to to EPU for a scan to rule out ectopic and then had a 2nd scan on wednesday last week.

Everthing is fine but they have classed last weeks scan as my dating scan and have cancelled my 12 week scan. Im a bit disappointed as i wanted to have the nuchal translucency scan to test for downs. I've hear that people have had to pay for the downs scan. Will i still be able to have it do you think??

I'm afraid I can't answer your downs question but now I'm worried that because I had a scan at 7wks they're going to send me away at my 12 wk scan on Fri (which is really 13wks)!

The midwife booked it AFTER my 7wk scan but I'm worried now cos I've seen a few posts saying they weren't allowed 12wk scans. I'd got myself excited about my scan and will be gutted if they send me away. I'm hoping that if I do get turned away my pent up rage gets vented on them instead of turning into a blubbering heap! I might refuse to leave the room until I'm scanned!

If they could accurately date the pregnancy at your early scan, you might have the same thing - a few girls on here have had this happen to them.

Not all NHS trusts offer the NT scans - if your 12wk scan has been cancelled, it must have been purely for dating purposes, and you would have needed to go private for your NT scan anyway. Check with your midwife though. It's ridiculous that the level of care you get depends on where you live, but when you think that it's not that long ago since no pregnant women were offered routine scans, we're lucky in comparison.

Still a big disappointment :hug: :hug:

Oh Sally, that must be really really disappointing. I had a scan at 7 weeks but I'm determined I'm having another scan at 12 weeks. I'm not going to believe that I'm actually having a baby until I see something more substantial than a grain of rice.

sally105 said:
Im 8 weeks pregnant and just before xmas, i was getting severe abdominal cramps. I was sent to to EPU for a scan to rule out ectopic and then had a 2nd scan on wednesday last week.

Everthing is fine but they have classed last weeks scan as my dating scan and have cancelled my 12 week scan. Im a bit disappointed as i wanted to have the nuchal translucency scan to test for downs. I've hear that people have had to pay for the downs scan. Will i still be able to have it do you think??

Not many NHS hospitals do the NT scan and chances are if you want it you'll have to go private for it. It costs, when combined with the blood tests (and better results) about £180-200.

We had to go private for it as our local NHS Trust does not offer them yet. The reason they don't do them as routine yet is that not enough people are trained to do them and not many hospitals have the equipement.

I'd look around at private hospitals. We had ours done via the Nuffield which have hospitals all over the country.

I'm having a scan next week when I'll be 8+3, they're checking to see if the second sac they saw last week has developed :) But they also decided they would date then aswell. Was quite gutted not to have the 12 week scan.

xx

I wish I could have a scan at all! My authority doesnt do them until 16 weeks so Im having to pay private for a dating scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back