Nuchal Scan

kkibble

Reaction score
Has anyone considered or even had the combined Nuchal Scan and if so what was the outcome. I am 10 weeks pregnant and have booked the scan in my 12th week for two main reasons. Firstly we have history of Spinia Bifida in our family and need reasurance that everything is OK. Secondly, although it comes at a cost I wanted to see my baby for the second time. We had our 12 week scan at 9 weeks so there wasn't a hugh amount to see.

Any advice and thoughts would be welcome.

Love Mrs Negative.

Hello Mrs Negative,
Meet Miss Pesimistic.....pleased to meet you!

I to have a family history of spina bifida and was at the midwife today for my booking appointment. I've agreed to the combined screening too. I'm one of those people that needs to be armed with all the facts and information before facing anything, and don't like surprises!

So although I can't really give you any advice, i'm here for you if you need me!

xxx

I had the integrated test - luckily for me it was available on the NHS. This involved a measurement of the fluid behind the neck using ultrasound scanning and 2 blood tests; one at 12 weeks and one at 15 weeks. Even though I have no family history of Down's or spina bifida, I wanted to be in the know. Fortunately the results came back as a low risk for both condition.

Hiya

I just had the nucal scan as I am 39 when I went in the odds were 1:140 when I came out they went down to 1:752 which I was happy with so didn't bother with the blood test. I've had a couple of scan since and the spine looks fine although there is a 5% chance of there being a problem I'm happy with those odds.

I forgot to say that they only offer free nucal fold scans at my hospital to over 40's so I had to go private.

Best of luck to you with your scan hope its a good result.

I had the nuchal fold scan at 11.5 weeks. I had to go to London to get it done as Brighton don't have the facilities and although there was no obvious reason for me to get it done, I just thought seeing as the NHS offered it, we might as well take the offer up and it was amazing. The scan was so detailed and everything was explained and they went into detail about what they were looking for and the chances of us having a baby with Downs was 1 in 14,000.

I found it so interesting to see the brain, the heart and the spine. It was different for me as neither of us has any history of downs or spina bifida so I guess it is all personal choice, if the scan showed a good chance of the baby having one of these, how would you feel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back