Not wanting Maternity leave.

nickilubs

Reaction score
:dance: Just got a job in a florist.

I didn't tell them about the baby though,....I'm just wondering because it is a very small shop and its not the type of place that could afford to be paying me for maternity leave so would it be okay If i worked until I felt I couldn't work any longer and then "quit" on the condition that there would be a job for me when I had had the baby? I trust the lady that will be employing me as she is very genuine. I just feel I would be ripping her off after she has given me a job when I am fully aware that I am having a baby. And I have worked in small shops before and I know that they couldn't afford to pay for 2 people. I wouldn't mind as much if it was a big company.

I don't think you qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay - I think you have to work for 26 weeks before 15 weeks before your due date. Or to put it another way, you have to have started before you were pregnant. You will be eligible for Maternity Allowance.

If I understand this correctly (and I may not so please correct me if I'm wrong) your employer will not pay you maternity pay as you will not be entitled to it but the government will pay you maternity allowance. This would mean you can just take maternity leave from your job and the florist can employ someone on a temporary basis to cover your leave and would only be paying one salary. If you quit your job they would be under no obligation to give it back to you.
Have a look here
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... G_10029290
for better details.

And congratulations on your new job!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member