not standing

Xena

Reaction score
Okay I've been quite cheerful about this so far, thinking Alex is just going at his own pace and he'll get there eventually, but it's really getting a bit daft now.

He's going to be 1 soon and he still can't stand up.

He bum shuffles around the room, but that's literally all he does. He doesn't show any sign of getting interested in pulling himself up, and when I hold him in a standing position over the floor he deliberately lifts his legs up and WONT put his feet on the floor, so I just end up sort of swinging him about!

If I hold him in a standing position over my knees, he does put a little pressure on his legs standing on my knees, but it only lasts about 2 seconds and then he bobs up and down a few times with his legs and then flumps back down into a sitting position, as though he's all tired out from that tiny bit of effort he's just put into bobbing!

Do you think he's just taking his time, or do you reckon it's worth taking him to be checked out incase there's something wrong with his legs or something!?

Lydia was 8 months old when she pulled herself up, and by this age she was very competently cruising about. She was walking solo at 12.5 months.
Alex seems so uncoordinated in comparison.

she was just over 6 months when she was standing with support and was walking at 1 day past 10 months

Maddison started standing recently, I think they do just go at their own pace TBH but if you're generally worried then get him checked out hun :hug:

I wouldn't be too worried yet Xena, Alex is such a chilled out baby.

Give him another couple of months.

Do you have any walkers (Vtech, brick trolley etc) - this is what encouraged DD to get up on her feet and stand at these, that and our full plates sitting on the arms of the sofas - she's such a moocher!

Valentine Xxx

I have a couple of walkers about too and these encouraged her to stand as she wanted to reach the buttons at the top :wink:

hmm yeh good idea about the walker thanks. I think I have one somewhere stuffed away that Lydia used to use - I'll have to find it.

I don't know why I never thought of that :wall:

Babies do things at their own pace, I'm sure I read that boys tend to be slower than girls too. If you're worried then speak to a HV, otherwise carry on encouraging him and he'll pick it up when he's ready (and enjoy the peace before he realises how much fun RUNNING can be :roll: :D ) :hug:

Last edited:
maybebaby said:
I've got a friend with a little boy 5 weeks younger than Austin & he's only just started walking. He didn't pull himself up until just before his birthday I think. He didn't start crawling until about 9/10 months either.

That's quite encouraging :)

Ryan still doesn't stand without support and he's 14 months :?

He's been pulling himself up and cruising for a few months now but he won't stand totally on his own.

I've been practising it with him for the past few days and he's managed to do it for a few seconds.

I know most babies his age are walking around but I don't let it bother me. If he still isn't by 18 months then I'll worry :)

Duno Xena! Imogens a floor cruiser, and crawls everywhere, can stand assisited but not pulling herslef up

They will do it when they want too!

there was a little girl on the same site as u while we were on holiday and she was 2 in the second week and she was just walking

Lily has been standing supported since 4months but like maybebaby said she never lost that reflex from birth. But on the otherhand she doesnt want to roll. shes done it a few times and really doesnt care for it :lol:

Just wanted to pass on some :hug: :hug: :hug:
He'll do it when he's ready, I know we all worry about certain things if they're not reached by this invisible timeline, my best friends LO is only just taking her first steps and she's over 1, it's certainly not stopped her getting on with things :) very best wishes :hug:

thanks ladies you've all made me feel a lot better. I guess I should just enjoy him sitting whilst it lasts :lol:

connor has been able to stand with support for some time now...

however, my brother showed no interest in standing whatsoever when he was a baby/toddler. he was a bum shuffler too - but one who was unable to roll over even at 18 months old, and who still wasn't walking at the age of 2!! my parents took him to a paediatrician who concluded that he was just very lazy :lol: my brother is now 25 with a masters degree 8)

alex will get there in his own sweet time :D :D

hannah started doing it between 6-7 months (standing up holding the side of the cot) and walking the week before her first birthday.

Id like to add that my older brother didnt walk till he was 18 months old, (not sure when he stood... ill ask my mum later when she pops round) He was just very laid back and uninterested iin anything (he's still the same lmao) My other brother was up and down staires by 10 months!!! - every baby goes at thier pase. :hug: :hug:

Stanley was an accomplished bum shuffler, he could really move!

That combined with his weight meant he wasn't pulling himself up until after his first birthday and started 'proper' walking around 14 months. I'm sure Alex is fine, and has learnt that flashing that gorgeous smile gets him what he needs anyway :wink:

jayde was 14 months before she walked round the furniture and shes only just started to pull herself up to standing and shes nearly 16 months now and she she cant walk yet only a a couple of steps so i wouldnt worry hun he will do it in his own time :hug: :hug:

you spend the first year teaching them to talk and stand up.... then spend the next 15 telling them to sit down and be quiet! Tia could stand by 4 months, was cruising by 5... lil miss in comparison is quite content to sit reading her books and try bum shuffling... shes not too fussed... I doubt she will walk before shes a year or even stand on her own... apparently late walking in second children is quite common as the younger ones rely on the bigger ones to get things for them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back