Not returning to work so?

fynemum

Reaction score
What maternity pay might i get? Baby due 31/10/07

I don't want to go back to work when this baby comes, can anyone tell me if i will still be able to get SMP? How much is it? for how long? and who pays it?

My employer want me to tell them by Tuesday next what my plans are... in writing, They have a girl waiting to take my job already....and i can understand that.... I want to finish up in about 5-6 weeks I think...Money Dependant...... so any advice what be helpful....

Thank you, Lv Yvonne xx

Hey! :)
Am sure you get SMP whatever.
You are being very good telling then anyway, you don't have to and then they would keep your job open for 9 months!
People who dont work get SMP so I'm totally sure you'll get it for the whole 9 months, don't know wther it will come from your employer or benefit office though.
Hope you're doing well
:hug:

:hug: Thank you Emma for you reply, do you think my employer will tell me when i see them?
:think:

yes you are entitled to SMP even if you are not going to return to work,

why not apply for a career break to immediatly follow your maternity leave and that way you're leaving your options open, I think the minimum is 6 months upto 5 years and what this means is that you are still on your employers books (but unpaid) and in the future if you decided to return to work they are obliged to find you a position although not necessarily the same job. you should check your companys employee rules etc for career breaks

What else should I know?
If you have more than one job, you may be able to get SMP from each employer.

If you leave your employment at anytime after the start of the 15th week before the week your baby is due your employer must pay SMP to you if you qualify for it.

If you do not intend to return to work for the employer paying SMP to you, you can still get SMP. You do not have to repay SMP if you decide not to return to work.

Entitlement to SMP does not affect your right to any other maternity payments provided by your employer. But SMP will still count towards any maternity payments your employer pays you.

If you work for a United Kingdom (UK) employer in the European Economic Area (EEA) you will usually be able to get SMP.

If you work outside the EEA you may be able to get SMP if your employer pays NI contributions for you.

If you cannot get SMP and have recently been employed or are self-employed, you may be able to get Maternity Allowance from your local Jobcentre Plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back