Nipple confusion

Needhelp

Reaction score
Hi all,

My little one is a week old. Breastfeeding has been so hard but we are both trying really hard to continue. However I want to go out in a few days to a friends hen do and won't be able to bring him with me. I'll only be gone for about three hours but he is constantly feeding at the moment. I have been expressing milk ready, but would it be too early to feed expressed milk with a bottle? I've heard of nipple confusion and worried it will make latching really difficult when I return? Would really like the break (for my sanity and nipples - sorry if that makes me sound awful) but don't want to undo all our hard work. Has anyone introduced expressed milk before two weeks successfully?

Thank you for any advice!

Hi your baby is going to feed like crazy for a while yet! I know its hard my baby is 14 weeks and only recently cut down on her feeds. My baby had bottles and breast from day one as she i had issues with milk and other things. It did cause problems i spent a month trying to get her to feed properly as she couldnt work out what was what. I got her of most bottles and we are down to one now but she sucks that like a nipple not a bottle teat. I personally wouldnt do it yet but its your call. I totally understand you wanting a break its hard work and breast feeding takes a while to get the hang of. If its hurting baby is not on right so make use of the breast feeding clinics in your area. Also this is just me and it dont make you bad but i wouldnt leave her after a week or so. Baby is going to want lots of cuddles and feeding and still getting used to being outside. Maybe one bottle wont confuse baby but as iv been through it i wouldnt recommend it.
Iv still not been out for any longer than and hr as baby will need feeding. If your serious about breast feeding its a long journey, for some x

Last edited:
Maybe you could try with Medela calma which is supposed to mimic a nipple. But I'm not the best person to advise- I had absolutely zero luck getting my lo to take a bottle and he's now 7 months and still refusing! Could you get someone to come with you so that your baby isn't far away? Then at least you can nip out and feed her. I hope you get to go!

I agree with Blueclass and personally wouldn't leave a 1 week old baby to go on a hen night, BFing or not. But as she said, it's your call.

If you do go though, you do not need to feed by bottle. At 1 week you could have your partner (I assume baby's daddy is looking after him?) give the expressed milk by syringe (dripped slowly onto his lips) or by spoon or feeding cup (the baby 'laps' up milk from these).

It would be worth asking your midwife or local breastfeeding support group about these options as they should be able to give you more info, demonstrate even :)
Good luck.

PS you will need to express every 1 to 2 hrs whilst you're away from your baby.

Thanks all. Really appreciate your opinions and think you are right that it's probably not the best idea. I said yes months ago without really thinking the reality through. X

If you do go can upur hubby be close by with the baby?
I know you would like to go but its just one night and um sure they will understand x

It's a meal on the night so don't really want to drag him out. My eldest will also be in bed. I think I'm just going to have to leave it.I was also hoping we could do one bottle of expressed a day so I could have a bit more time with my eldest but it sounds like it's best to wait a while.

Yeah i know its hard but id wait for the recommened time. You have worked so hard you dont want to spoil it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back