Natural intercourse vs ovulation kits / testing??

PinkPunch

Reaction score
After reading kmac's post on another thread (general question about TTC- newbie here) I thought it was a good point and got me thinking.

I've not been ttc for very long either.
I came off the pill a year ago, but my periods are still not regular.
I was at the docs anyway yesterday and decided to ask her about this and how it may affect ttc. She said NOT to chart temps or do ovulation tests, just to make sure there is plenty sperm going in (every 2-3 days) and not to worry about it.

My question is, do you actually enjoy trying to conceive or does charting / monitoring every stage make you obessed and stress out too much?

I've always had this idea of just being able to have sex without a condom anytime we like with the attitude of "it will happen when it happens". But after reading alot of TTC info, I fear I may become to obessed with charts / monitoring every movement, that I will be disappointed when it doesn't happen at first.

Whats your thoughts on this?

I started my TTC journey with the attitude of just doing loads of BDing and it will happen in a couple of months or so. When it hadn't happend I started to work out dates so at least I had an idea of when the best time was. When that still didn't work I started charting temps and using OPK's..........still hasn't worked though!! :wall: :wall:

although I'm still not pregnant I have found that charting makes me feel like I'm in control of TTC and not just waiting for it. Yes I'm upset every month when I'm not PG but I would be upset whether I was charting or not. Also I've learned so much about how my body works and lookig at the signs that I'm glad I charted. Plus it gives me something to focus on instead of worrying about whether I was infertile or not! :hug:

I've been TTC for 2/3 months. I dont do charts or temping just try to find my natural rhythm. But my cycle is regular, and i get ovulation pains so i know when its happened/happening. It hasnt got to the stage where we are stressing and not enjoying it, that mechanical stage. We are pretty relaxed about it at the moment because we pretty much BD on a regular so we dont ask for it, or bring it up. He doesnt know when i'm ovulating, i dont tend to really tell him so that may help with the pressure thing

ive been thru it all charting tempin ov sticks body signs, although it did help me get to kno my body but i found it frustrating thinkin about it every single day. Now tha i have pcos i may start charting agen just to see how often i ovulate.

You could try the different methods to see which one is best for you, but i woulnt over indulge in it, it puts a lot of pressure on you and your partner.
Good luck :)

I'm sure most of us just start out all relaxed about things, it's only when we've been trying for a few months that we start to think about opks etc...

I chart but I don't feel like I'm obsessed about everything just because I do so. It just gives you a good insight into your cycles which is useful for TTC.

I conceived the 2nd month of using opks, I really had no idea when I ovulated prior to using them. Even though I get ovulation pains, I had no idea when I first started TTC what the pains were all about. Or what the stringy ewcm was all about at the peak of my fertile time.

Turns out I ovulate quite late, day 19 usually. If you read everything it always refers to ovulating on day 14 but that's only for people with an average cycle of 28 days. So opks were a godsend for me. Now I use them just to confirm to myself that I'm about to ovulate but really I don't need to use them at all.

I would be inclined to carry on as you are for now. If you haven't got pg in a few months maybe then consider using the ovulation tests.

Good luck!

Just want to say I wasn't meaning that it's bad to chart or use OPK's.
I have bought some internet cheapie OPK's and will most likely start using them in a few months if no BFP because of my irregular cycles - I have no idea when I ovulate, it's different every month!
I just wanted to pass on what the doc said to me, as it made me feel better about my cycles.
:)

If DH and I normally made love every other night, and if I had regular cycles of average length, I wouldn't bother using anything either. Then again, if it was that easy for me, I wouldn't be asking my doctor about TTC or looking up TTC sites on the internet :rotfl:

Several of my friends conceived either by accident (though married, and more 'not really preventing') or in the first month of trying, and have gone through the whole process of pregnancy and birth still blissfully unaware of cycle, ovulation, OPKs, monitors and the rest of it.

Some of us aren't so lucky, and need to do all we can to maximise our chances! C'est la vie... *sigh*

Some of us take comfort in charting, testing and knowledge, others find those same processes and knowledge stressful. Do whatever makes you feel most comfortable. Everyone's different and all doctors are different - mine recommended using a fertility monitor, and totally supports my charting.

I'm a bit weird because I actually enjoy using my monitor. It gets me excited :shock: to see when i'm ovulating! Like a few ladies have mentioned, I never mention ovulation etc to my hubby because he'd feel a bit 'used' haha. He obviously knows we're ttc (i'm sure i've mentioned it)! Just kiddin! Instead of going on about it to him, I just come on here and get it out of my system! I'm enjoying using the forum and seeing the BFP's, it gives me hope when I see a BFP thread. I'm not obsessed :roll:
But like most woman, once your broody and feel ready for a baby, I don't think anything can surpress those feelings. So ttc is basically always at the back of my mind, but I am enjoying the whole experience so far.

Can't believe how long and in some places irrelevant my post is. Sorry ladies!

xx

We didn't use contraception (pill not good for me) for about two years before I got pregnant but we weren't trying IYSWIM, we were relaxed and happy about our relationship and both knew we wanted children eventually and I would be careful to avoid us having sex what I assumed was mid cycle. I got pregnant when we did it once that whole month (poor OH, he's so deprived) and when we were getting frisky I remember saying 'we shouldn't its mid cycle' and we did and we got pregnant. Sadly it ended at 9 weeks for us but now I'm obsessed and charting and OPK'ing to get pregnant again, had one proper cycle and no BFP. I wish I could take myself to not ttc, to being relaxed about it even if it took two years. Thing is now its on my mind, for me simply saying we won't ttc this month wouldn't work as it would still be in my head.

Maybe once we've been charting a few months and we know when ov is due regularly I will abandon the temps and OPK's and just relax again (I hope).

Hi ya..

I had been trying since January and it had got a bit like a chore for both of us because i was charting and i knew exactly when it was best to do it and neither of us really enjoyed it like that but we really wanted a baby. Well last month i had to go into hospital and have some abnormal cells removed so we decided that untill i was all better that we wouldn't try so i didn't chart and i had no idea when i ovulated thinking well if when i did know we didn't fall pregnant then surely we wouldn't but not knowing.. We probably had sex once last month and that was it because i was bleeding for half of the month and then on friday i felt a bit off so tested and i got a bfp... Everyone sais stop trying so hard and it really is true..

wow sunshine, congrats!! Thanks for your post :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back