Natrual Birth

firstangel

Reaction score
Hi Girls

I have been told that I may not be able to get any pain relief in Labour and I was just wondering if any one has done it this way??

I have severe allergies and I have an appointment with the consultant next month to discuss it, so I was wondering of any other options??

hun im sure they will be able to find some alternatives for you otherwise what about hiring a tens machine i know some people have good results with them xxxxxxx

water is supposed to be a great pain reliever - i'm hoping to labour in a pool. does your hospital have these available to you?

I managed with no pain relief but had a very short labour. I hadn't even realised how much it was hurting until the midwife asked if I wanted gas & air, which I tried but really didn't get on with. I found that if I just concentrated hard through the contractions they passed quite quickly, and for the pushing stage I found biting down on the mouthpiece for the G&A was most effective. Also it helped having an active birth because I just chose the position that was most comfortable to me so I felt really in control.

I think a positive attitude helps enormously. Maybe look into hypnobirthing, or a water birth if that's an option?

I've had 2 uncomplicated natural births and hope to do the same again. I did use gas and air on both but found it more of a distraction than actually pain relieving. I was lucky because the births were pretty quick so that made all the difference. Over and over in my head I kept saying 'this will end soon' and I used it almost like meditation. There's something comforting about knowing that your own body and mind are dealing with everything in a natural way, and while people who have long or difficult labours obviously require extra pain relief, as long as everything is going normally there is no need for drugs.

I'm hoping for a natural birth too, (maybe with gas and air) but I'm relying on having an active birth and fingers crossed a water pool for some part of the labour.

I agree that water can be a great pain reliever, along with a positive attitude! The thing that sticks in my mind at the moment is this is pain that I know is going to end at some point, so its like a wee light at the end of the tunnel before I even start :) well... thats what I hope anyway! :lol:

It cant be easy having the options taken away from you, but I would look into water pools, tens machines, active birth etc.

Yeh I was going to say about water too! Hopefully you will find water helps you enough! :hug:

TENS machines can be good for a lot of the first part- I really liked mine, I liked having the control of being able to step it up with each contraction. Later on I really loved gas and air, it was GREAT! They ended up having to give me a lungful of Oxygen after each contraction mind as I was really starting to fly off with the gas and air and I had to focus to push. It was ok though and the gas and air just stopped me from panicing which I think was half the battle.

+++

i had a natural birth and its certianly do-able..BUT please dont make too many decisions beforehand. Noone knows what they can take until it happens and pinning your hopes too much on a single course might lead to disapointment if things dont go to plan

I had a fully medicated birth and a natural birth (at home). I much preferred the natural birth. It really helped knowing there was no pain relief available at home as I knew I had to just get on with it. I did have a TENs for the first part, then was in the bath for most of the second.

I have read the most amazing things about using a birthing pool, even if you decide to get out for the final stages.

Its definitely an option I am considering as I desperately want as natural a birth as possible (and Im able to have al the drugs). I dont do well on some drugs though, and having had a lumbar puncture in the past (which I am told is a lot worse that an epidural), I want to avoid it if possible.....

I would suggest have a good read into water births!

If you mean IV pain relief then there are alternatives.

I managed with a short use of a TENS machine, water/birthpool and a bit of Entinox (gas and air).

I had a homebirth and tbh never wanted or worried about needing more than the above. I found labour more than bearable and the second stage of actually pushing my baby out was a positive pain and constructive as I could actually do something about it rather than just having to sit through them.

FWIW water is a great pain reliever and I'd suggest a birthpool for labour and if you wish to deliver your baby in. If we have another baby I'll only use the water if all goes well. I can do without TENS and entinox for sure.

I also believe that mind over matter can help. A positive approach to labour, trusting and knowing your own body and having confidence in yourself and your ability. Also that if you know what is causing the pain its easier to rationalise and cope with it than an unknown pain.

Loads of great susgestions there ! thanks will talk to the consultant about it all next month ! thanks guys ! :hug: :hug:

EllieBelle said:
and having had a lumbar puncture in the past (which I am told is a lot worse that an epidural), I want to avoid it if possible.....

Yep me too ! totally put me of an epidural !

I just wanted to say that I had only valium and a bath (not a pool...a plain ol bath) during my 8 hours of labour... I had nothing else at all... no gas and air... no epi... no pethedine... I got preped for an epi but by the time the woman came back with the drip bag it was too late... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I did it the old fashioned way they did it 50 years ago... :)

Its not as bad as it seems and how other mothers make out although at the time it felt like it.... :rotfl: :rotfl: The irony is with my first I had an epi and said I'd never go through labour ever again...with my second I had nothing and when she was popped into my arms I said I'd do it all again... :) So it couldn't have been that bad eh? :)

i am really really hoping to do it with just gas and air, i dont like all the drugs, i have a tens machine for the start of labour and our hospital have nirthing pools so hopefully be in that for the second part of labour, i am really determined not to have nasty drugs, lets hope it works out that way :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back