Names already in the family

Penstraze

Reaction score
Is anyone naming their baby after someone in the family? We love the name Cara its my cousins name though so I wasn't sure if it would be considered odd to use it :think: part of the reason we love the name is because my cousin is such a cutie we were planning to ask her if she would like her second cousin named after her and we think she would be really chuffed but if she wouldnt we obviously wouldn't use it. My friend kind of upset me when I mentioned it to her and she said she could never understand when people used names already in the family and thought it was very odd! :evil:

Nioe I love it especially if it is someone you are close to.
My Little girleys name is the same as my grandads ladyfriend. :D Shes just like our nanny but my nan died before I was born so she was like my nan and even after grampy died shes still like my nan. :D Also when I seen the name it just clicked it was so perfect and simple but unusual!

My son is named after his dad who is named after his dad who is named after his lol etc etc!
He also has a cousin named Joe who was named afetr his grandad who died just after he was born! It can get a little confusing when someone mentions Joe! lol but other than that it is fine!

My husband's family are Greek so everyone is named in a particular way:

The first-born is named after the Dad's dad
The second-born is named after the Mum's dad
The third-born is named after the Dad's mum
The fourth-born is named after the Mum's mum.

The result is that EVERYONE has the same name!! personally I hate that, but to have more than one Peter or more than one Charlie isn't a problem as long as there's not a total over-abundance of that name already, IMHO.

AMETHYST

Thanks everyone, I was a bit worried about it being a little confusing but to be honest we don't live near my cousin or see her much so its not likely to be too confusing, I still want to wait til we see our little girl to finally decide on a name but its the leading favourite at the moment!

i really love the name Corey for a boy, and its the only name me and OH have agreed on upto now BUT his brother's daughter has a cousin (from daughter's mum's side obviously!) called Corey and people have said....'ooooh she cant have two cousins called Corey' - what do you think?

I think it's lovely to name your LO after a loved one, I certainly don't find it odd, that's an odd thing to say :roll: Isaac's middle name is after his Grandad, his first name is unique to the family and wider friends circle. I actually want all our children to have unique names to us, but their middle names will be of loved ones, friends :) You name your baby girl whatever you love Penstraze, because she will make it her own :hug: :hug: :hug:

we use family names as middle names. benjamin's middle name is my grandad's name. oliver's middle name is my dad's and mark's dad's name, and this baby will have my name and mark's grandma's name as a double-barralled middle name

the first names are just our personal choice

Our choice for a boys name was my mums dads name. And my cousin also named his son after him (that make sense?) so if we'd have had a a boy he'd have been called the same name as my 2nd cousin and my grandad - we didn't see it as a problem at all :)

I was thinking of calling mine William if it was a boy, after my mums dad, i have a cousin called Will but he's named after his own dad who died shortly after he was born so i didnt see a problem, plus the grandad (who had now passed away) was Bill not Will and William can be Billy or whatever so it'd have been ok

My family is from Slovenia & we though it would be nice to try and incorporate my heritage into our LO's name. I have a cousin from slovene called Katja (pronounced kat tia) which we think is a lovely name. My cousin will be be chuffed to bits if we called our LO after her!

I think it's nice to use names that are already in the family and I'm sure your cousin will love it! Incidentally I hope this doesn't put you off but my Dog is called Cara! She is very beautiful though! :D

Thanks for all your replies its nice to hear that other people would/are using names in the family everyone else I have spoken to has said it would be a lovely idea and not odd at all quess I was just unlucky my friend was the first person I asked :roll:

I'm finding it quite difficult shes my oldest and closest friend but she'd really annoyed me over this she always says what she thinks and can be quite blunt I know that and usually don't let it get to me but I made it clear it was the name we liked and might use when I texted her and she replied says she had always thought it was odd when people used names in the family which I had left there cause it had annoyed me and not mentioned it again and when I was texting her yest she said so have you found a name now then? :evil: I'd been very clear that Cara was our name of choice at the moment at the time and the way I took it was like she was saying had we found a beter name now or just compleatly ignoring our name choice cause she didn't like it, I haven't replied to her cause I can't without being rude! I don't want to fall out with her cause shes a good friend but its really getting to me - maybe its hormones! :lol:

MissGobby I think Corey is lovely and if its only his brothers daughters cousin then I think its silly for you not to be able to use it, its not like hes even dirrectly related to either of you! :hug:

on my partners side the name Brian is passed down as first names but my bf uses his middle name as his everyday name if that makes sence... im quite lucky tho cause my bf has already said that he doesnt wanna use Brian when we do finally get our bundle of joy... not that its a horrible name just he doesnt use it as such so I dont see the point in using it as a first name!

I was always thinking of using family names as middle names but it all depends on the child to be honest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back