Keeping it in the family!!!

lisangio

Reaction score
Please help me and oh are in a bit of a dilemma.

i am english and my husband is Italian, it is their family tradition to name boys after their grandfather (fathers side). problem is we arnt keen on the name, we know we are expecting a boy and have always loved the name Alessandro but now feel pressured to naming him Mario after father in law. we have already had comments from other Italian people saying "are you calling him Mario? you have to really" so annoying.

I know it means the world to him and he would be forever grateful but do we name our son to please him or be selfish and name him what we want?
We already have a daughter who isnt named after anyone but i feel if we dont name him after father in law we will feel guilty.

advice and views most welcome.

i would name him what u want hun maybe use the other name as a middle name just to keep them happy, but in the long run he is your son your choice

How about naming him Alessandro Mario? If you rally don't like the name, don't call him it and don't be pressured into doing so. You need a name that you can bear to call your children otherwise you'll just call them by a nickname anyway.

mary70 said:
i would name him what u want hun maybe use the other name as a middle name just to keep them happy, but in the long run he is your son your choice

thanks mary, thought of that one but they dont do middle names, he would see it more of an insult to have it as middle name. :wall:

Hi ..
Both me & my husband are Italian and we had the same dilemma, so in the end we named both boys after nobody !! LOL

Pure personal choice still italian names, but what I would call new age names

We have Lucca & Rocco

Hope you come to some agreement

Guadagnia said:
Hi ..
Both me & my husband are Italian and we had the same dilemma, so in the end we named both boys after nobody !! LOL

Pure personal choice still italian names, but what I would call new age names

We have Lucca & Rocco

Hope you come to some agreement

Thanks for the advice, were any of the grandfathers offended or upset or were they not bothered? my father in law is really traditional so i am expecting him to be a little upset, whats your experience?

better to have him a lil upset for a lil while then to hate your sons name for a lifetime .

I think its time someone broke the tradition - it puts too much pressure on people to conform - good luck

Hi ..
Yes there were a few disappointed family members but it would have meant my kids being Dario/Rosario lol............................................

At the end of the day they are YOUR children and its YOUR perogative, my husband was very supportive, but I know theres immense pressure to keep up with tradition, especially if its your first born.

Whats you r husband/partners take on it ?
Start talking about it now to family and hopefully it may not come as an enormous suprise. After all there has to be a compromise somewhere.

I hope you get round this, to suit yourself and your partner/husband not just to please family

Regards
Guadagnia

Thanks for the advice, were any of the grandfathers offended or upset or were they not bothered? my father in law is really traditional so i am expecting him to be a little upset, whats your experience?[/quote]

it is the same here in Greece hence you can end up with all the 1st cousins having the same name!!!!! I refused to call our daughter after my mother-in-law and my mums name isnt 'orthodox' so couldnt and wouldnt use that, so we have broken with tradition and yes we have had some comments but I wouldnt be pressured into something that I didnt want. it is difficult and no matter what name you choose someone will have something to say about it - we're also being told that our babys name is too difficult (it is Mathilthe in Greek)

Hey!

Ah I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. I've just thought of something though, you're English not Italian, if you were both Italian it would be different but you're not...

...You could just say that although you respect that this is an Italian tradition, you are not Italian and therefore you have chosen an Italian name for the baby but it just won't be the father's name.

Just a thought? :think:

xx

u could use it as middle name? our daughter's middle name is my boyf's mum's name (who died when he was 3). although we dont especially love the name we wanted to use it as a middle name as a token-typething to her gran who never got to meet her, so we like it for that reason- and its her first name we use to call her by which is the one we DO love and we picked for her. so perhaps u could call him alessandro mario?

but at the end of the day its YOUR baby, YOU should pick the name YOU want!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back