Baby and Pet names

tipper

Reaction score
Do you think it would be weird to name your child something that is used as a pet name by family members?

We still have a lot of time to go, so I'm sure this will change, but at the moment I love the name Lily for a girl. The husband actually likes it too (super rare!), but the issue is that his cousin's dog shares the same name.

As far as boy names go, my sisters and I have always considered naming a boy Jack (my grandpa's name). Between the two of them, they have 5 girls and I dont think they are having any more kids, so the name would be mine if I so wanted. But of course, my inlaw's cat is named Jack.

So would that be enough for you to never consider the name again? I'm still keeping Lily as a contender as I really love the name, plus we only see the cousin a few times a year. Jack on the other hand... we see that damn cat at least once a week.

my dog is called Molly and i LOVED it for baby but i cudnt do it BUT it was my dog lmao xx

I know how that goes! One of my cats is named Maggie, and my dog is Shelby. I think both of those names would be adorable for a baby, but I could see the kid being a wee bit upset once she is old enough to realize she was named after a pet! :lol:

All I know is that the next pet I have is getting a proper pet name like Spot or Mittens ;)

Last edited:
haha defo... shelbie i really like that :) i like weird names but defo had to refrain i mean its all right calling ur child a real funk name but realistically if theyre shy/ quiet/ or not even that popular its not going to be nice at school giving kids extra ammunition lol the digs in our family all have proper kids names too well except we have a Spot lol xx

I like both Lily and Jack (OH is called Jack!)

I wouldn't see a problem using them , it's not another family human member that have used them, just animals, and your baby would prob like to have the same name too when a little older!

Weirdly two of the names OH likes (and there's not many of them!) are names of cats I had!

Phoebe and Jasmine.........

Lxx

Molly is my number 1 choice for my girl and my best friend had a horse called Molly! so i dont think its that bad, its only a pet after all lol x

I have two friends who's kids are lily and jack.
So weird I was just speaking about the name Molly today, my friends granddaughter is Molly but my other friends dog is called Molly, I love the name but can't stop thinking about the dog ;)
I Also like Katie but immediately think of Katie price :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This just happened to one of my relatives - they called their little girl Amber and my dog is already called Amber and I find it hilarious because from my pov they have called their daughter after a b1tch.

I think it really depends on a lot of things though.

Firstly, I don't think it is as bad if the parents deliberately choose a name assosiated with a pet.

Then I think it is worse for dogs names, rather than a cats, because they are regarded as big dopey stupid smelly hairy things.

Also, if it's a common name then it matters less, but if it's an unusual name like Amber then it's funny.

It also depends on you and you family. My family love nothing more then giggling at each others misfortune and teasing :)

I could see this particular cousin teasing me quite a bit if I named my child after her dog. She gives me grief for just about EVERYTHING (in a loving way). But then again, I see her maybe 3 times a year total and the dog less than that so maybe it wouldn't be that big of a deal!

Who knows though. Maybe I'll end up with a boy and my "Lily" issue won't even be a concern ;)

We're having Jack if our baby is a boy! :)

I like Chloe but we have a cat called Cleo so it's too close! Plus alot of people get her name muddled up and call her Chloe anyway! lol

xxx

Gah, I love the name Chloe also, but ANOTHER cousin's cat has already claimed the name! Seriously, people need to start giving pets actual pet names! Myself included :lol:

My friend was openly names AFTER her family dog! Its a bit of a joke in the family now but nothing major. I wouldnt say it would scar them for like so go for it!xx

I have two dogs and a cat lol. Dogs are Taz (no problem there) and Cody I love the name Cody for a little boy but could never call my kid it. The cat is called Sabbath so again no problem there, So many people I no have named their pets with human names lol. I think i'm safe with Bethan tho. xXx

I love tha name Jack for a boy. but can never use it, never thought I would have kids so named my horse Jack :lol: partner has said no to naming our son (if we have a boy) Jack :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back