My old GP - was he wrong?

MissJuly10

Reaction score
My sister has had 2 children and she suffers with endometriosis and irregular periods (although I'm not sure they are as crazy as mine).

As far as I know, she's had the endo under control for a while but I think she's still had irregular AF since forever, although apparently she took the pill for 6 months which regulated them - not entirely sure how true that is or when she did this though.

She went to see the GP (she goes to the same one I used to have - the crap one) cos she was having stomach cramps and was bleeding and losing some clots. She'd never done a pregnancy test. She explained everything and he told her he can confirm she'd miscarried and she said she had no idea at all she was pregnant so was totally shocked.

Does that not sound a bit odd to anyone??

I know her periods can sometimes go AWOL so not sure if she told him she was late or anything but I know she said that based on her LMP, she would have been 7-8 weeks.

He sent her for a scan yesterday (about 3 days after seeing him) and the nurse told her there was no sign of any pregnancy which either meant there wasn't one in the first place or that it was extremely early and her bleeding was it being flushed out (for want of a better phrase).

Am I wrong to feel peed off with the GP? He didn't do any tests but apparently felt her belly and said she'd been pregnant.

Sorry, bit pointless but I've been feeling confused about it and needed to write it down.

x x

Sounds a bit odd to me hun, especially if she's had 2 children, not sure how her belly would feel any different. Did they do a blood test to check hcg levels?

No he didn't. He just felt her belly, heard her explain about the clots and diagnosed her with a miscarriage. When I get AF, I normally lose clots so assumed it was normal of people who have long cycles.

I know she took a clot (well I don't know how many or whatever) but she took a sample down to show him and he said he didn't need to see it he knew she had miscarried.

x x

This guy sounds bizarre MissJ, there is no way he could tell she had been pregnant that early on, i think this guy needs reporting to someone, no joke.

Your poor sis too, hope she is ok? xx

Bloody hell, has he got X-ray vision? He sounds like one of those docs who gives the first "usual" reason for symptoms and that's it. If I was your sister I would change docs over this, you can't flippantly tell a woman she has miscarried just by feeling her tummy and listening to symptoms. I pass a lot of clots in af and I am a regular 28 day cycle xxxxxxxxxxxx

I've told my sister to swap to where I am, they are accepting new patients and they are just so much better!

She was devastated cos she wanted another baby but wanted to wait til they moved as they've no room for a third.

The thing is, because she didn't do a pregnancy test and the GP didn't do one, they can't confirm or cross off anything so she might never know whether it was an actual MC or not.

Gah, bloody GP, I can't stand him, he's terrible! Once my sister is feeling better (she's still feeling low of course) I'll tell her she should report him, I didn't think it possible to diagnose miscarriage with no proof of pregnancy. :confused:

x x

When you have endo & you miss periods its usually really heavy & clotty when you do have a bleed.
Without doing a pg test or a hcg beta test NO dr can tell anyone they are or where pregnant. Thats awfull. Bless your sister, she must be worrying her self. Deffo move dr's, or ask to see another dr at the surgery.
x

I hope she is ok hun! Sorry to say it but your old gp sounds shit! go on gmc website and you can put his name in and it gives you all his records! See if there have been any other complaints about him hun. By law you have a right to know everything about yout doctors liscense xxxx

I hope your sister is ok.
I dont understand how he can say she's had a miscarrage when there was no positive test.

Sorry I really dont have anything helpful. x

Thanks ladies. I'll check that site out hun, thanks. x x

Charliebear - That's ok, I just needed to write it all down, it sounded so confusing in my head. I've seen my sister tonight and tbh she looked much chirpier than she did on Sunday, the night before her scan. I didn't get to talk to her about any of it, wasn't sure where to start, how she'd react.. Didn't want to upset her or anything. Hopefully she's feeling a bit better despite things. x x

Writing it down always helps doesn't it?! Ur sis must be feeling so confused! Bless her. Hope ur ok Hun! Need to catch up on ur diary xx

Dr sounds like a nightmare Miss J! Hope your sis is ok! Xxx

Thanks ladies. I looked him up on that GMC register but couldn't see any reviews. When she's feeling a bit better maybe I'll talk to her then.

x

Hiya MissJ, sorry about the situation with your sister :(

I agree that the GP had no basis to say that considering your sister's medical history.

He's a complete twat, I can't stand him. I really hope she changes surgeries. :(

x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back