HSG update...Ladies with PCOS *please read*

MissJuly10

Reaction score
Well ladies, after spending however long psyching myself up, going through everything in my head etc and finally getting to the day I was meant to get answers, I didn't actually get any. :mad:

Arrived at the hospital, got changed into the hospital gown, was asked all the normal questions and then finally went into the x-ray room.

The Dr (lovely lady) asked when DH and I last had sex, I told her Sunday and she then refused to do the HSG. :shock:

She told me I wasn't meant to have had sex til after the HSG was performed due to the risk of pregnancy. I explained we had infertility problems :)rolleyes:) and that the chance of that was low...She asked how long we'd been TTC, my LMP and whether we'd been told about not having sex. I said of course not, otherwise we'd have refrained - the HSG was clearly more important than our hormonal urges. ;)

She asked whether I was willing to risk damaging a pregnancy (got a bit pissed off but understood where she was coming from) and would I take a pregnancy test. I feel bad for saying it now but I said yes to both. I just wanted the bloody thing over with, I'd waited so long for answers, I just wanted to get somewhere. :(

She said she, personally, would not risk damaging a fertilised egg and was so going to refuse to perform the HSG and would phone my consultant and ask him to take responsibility and sign off on it if he would accept the risk. Sent back to the waiting room where I updated DH. Both got called back (for a minute thought she'd tell me the test was positive!) and she explained to DH again that we should have been told no sex and also as I was CD14, we should have been booked in before CD10. DH told her he argued this on the phone when booking me in on CD1, he told the secretary I was CD1 etc and she told him that as I "have PCOS, I can have 7 days grace on the CD10 rule". :strangle:

He argued I'd not had confirmed PCOS but she was going on and on about it so he said if she was sure, then fine, book us in for asap. She never mentioned no sex or anything but she told the radiologist that we were lying and that she'd told us everything we needed to know.

The Dr told us that we shouldn't have been told that there was 7 days grace because there isn't and I assume it's because of the risk of pregnancy thing. She kept trying to explain ovulation dates to me and I kept telling her it was pointless, my cycles are usually 80-100+ days so it's pretty clear OV isn't happening but she was having none of it, telling me that I could get pregnant 72 hours after the Sunday that we'd BDed. :slap:

She told us we'd have to rebook for next cycle. :( I was absolutely gutted, told her I was unhappy about having to wait another 3-4 months and she kept apologising and she put lots of ****'s on my x-ray request form and wrote that I was a priority case. She surprised me further by giving DH her mobile number, telling him to call or text as soon as AF arrived (rather than go through the department) and she'd book as in for as soon as she could.

I was extremely peed off that the consultant's secretary would try and save her own arse by lying about this stuff, FFS I wanted to go and throttle the woman and tell her she had cocked this up for us big time!! I was soooo angry!!

So, ladies with PCOS/suspected PCOS, please don't accept it if you're told you can be booked in later than CD10, I wouldn't want for you to be cancelled on and then have to wait however long to be booked in again. :(

I'm definitely going to complain when we see the consultant. There was no mention of the no sex thing on any forms we were sent either. :confused:

Sorry for the long post.

HPT was negative by the way lol. Blood results not in yet either. :wall:

x x

Oh god Hun how infuriating. Really sorry to hear you've been put thru all that xxx

Hopefully AF won't drag me through 4 months and will arrive nice and early. Or prove the doc right and bugger off for the next 9 months.. ;)

x x

Last edited:
how to make a difficult process even more painful! sorry to hear you had a rough day and no answers, grrr!
:hug:

Thanks hun. x

DH phoned the GP yesterday, would it be pestering if we called again today for the blood results?

x

This is unfuriating Miss July. I would be annoyed too. Why do you have to wait another 4 months??? I think you have a right to be priority on your next cycle so call them on the first day of your next period.
I really feel for you hon and i am sorry it did not go ahead. If they keep fobbing you off have you thought about getting it done privately hon?? I am doing that this month and just waiting for AF to turn up.

Hugs

Gizzy xxxx

I don't think I got fobbed off, I just think the secretary forgot to mention some details and we're paying for it. :(

4 months because my cycles have been over 100 days before and I'm only cd14. At the most, I'll be waiting 4 months for AF before I can be re booked.

When we called to book the HSG we did that as soon as we could and were still told it doesn't matter too much when the HSG is done cos of my PCOS. But I haven't even got confirmed PCOS! :confused:

x

Oh sweetie - as you can see from my scan thread I am having exactly the same issues.

They may perform these procedures day in day out but to us it is a huge deal so they should at least make sure they give us the right dates and the right information!!

So, so sorry that you now have to wait! Fingers crossed this isn't one of your long cycles.

((((hugs))))

xxxxxxxx

What a nightmare!!! I'm sooo angry for you MissJ :wall2::wall2::wall2:

I'd definitely complain because you are right that it doesn't make sense.

If you were lying, then you would have also known to lie about when you last had sex!

I'd take it as far as you can, just to kill the time before your next HSG...

Gutted for you xx

Last edited:
Hiya hun i dont understand why they did that? my cycles are the same as yours and all i had to do was a pregnancy test! she should never have refused you!!if i were you i would complain about it!

It shouldnt be about the doctors feelings - its about yours!

Seriously hun get a complaint in xxxxx

Aww missj :hugs: that's gutting! I feel so upset for you, really wanted you to get somewhere. Hope af comes earlier for you so you can get it booked again. Make sure you make some sort of complaint about the secretary, how dare she cover her own backside!!

Thanks girls, still feeling really angry. :(

DH is defo going to complain to the consultant at our next appointment (which has been pushed back til after the HSG!). I'm not sure whether the radiologist spoke to my consultants registrar or his secretary. Cos she told the radiologist that she was the person we saw at our last appointment which is a big fat lie cos the person we saw was a male! :mad:

I'm glad the radiologist at least was human and kept offering her apologies and gave us her mobile number etc.. Although she effed me off as well with going on about me being pregnant, I asked her if she really thought it was possible with what I told her and she kept saying there was a slight risk blah blah blah.

I appreciate what she was saying and I guess I like the fact she wasn't willing to put a potential pregnancy at risk but seriously?? I find it so hard to believe that I could be pregnant this cycle. :rolleyes:

To all the ladies who have had HSG's, were you told anything about not having sex before HSG??

Arggh. :brat:

x x

Last edited:
Ew I am sorry Miss J I think the word fobbing off was the wrong word to use. I understand your issue now with the 4 months. I have just gone back and found all my hycosy forms and info. It says I have to get it booked between days 7-15 of my cycle. (HSG is similar to Hycosy) do you want me to send you the information sheet so you can sse what info I was given?

Hugs

Gizzy xxxx

my consultant didnt say anything about not having sex but on the info sheet it said not to have sex for a week before the scan. wouldnt have known if i hadnt have read it tho! xxx

Oh my, what a let down :( How frustrating. I hope AF shows and doesn't keep you waiting for months. So sorry hun. :hug:

Glad your going to complain she's obviously covering herself as she knows she's not done her job properly.

I'm awaiting swab results and AF before I book my HSG and haven't yet been told about not having sex before hand. Dr did say he wouldnt do it this cycle though as there was a risk of pregnancy as I was CD 12ish but I myself know there was a very slim chance (cycles range from 33/69) that there was anything going on. My previous cycle I didnt Ov until CD30ish.

Charlie x

Thank you ladies. My forms didn't say anything about not having sex. :confused:

I feel like an idiot for not thinking about it before hand but cos of my ridiculous cycles and the consultant telling me he's "certain" I'm not ovulating, I just didn't think we were at risk at all.

*Sigh*

x

Hi MissJuly.

Really sorry to hear about your apt. It makes me so angry that there is not one generic form regardless of hospital so we are all told the same thing. I'm amazed reading how different everyone's experiences are depending on where they go and that's not just for HSG.

Nothing on my form about not having sex before. I was told to book in between days 5 and 10 although if after 10 I would have had to sign a form and take pregnancy test.

I really hope you don't have to wait another 4 months this cycle. Sooo frustrating for you xxx

Thanks hun. x

Part of me thinks we should have put 2 and 2 together ourselves but never mind. :rolleyes:

I'm half tempted to take Agnus Castus and see if it helps but I know that I don't want to do anything to affect anything or enhance anything.

My patience is being tested massively, keep eyeballing the tub of AC! :slap:

x

Hi Miss J, I was told to not have sex for a week before my HSG then take a preg test on the morning to make sure, as I never get AF. Have you thought about the option of asking your GP for provera to make AF come earlier (assuming it will be a mega cycle again, that could save you 3 months? ) i think it's awful that they gave you the wrong info and now you're suffering. Big hugs xxx

I've got to see my GP soon anyway so will ask then. :thumbup:

Thanks Blondy. x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27